Jul 31, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
And now FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Blue Jays have entered the mix for Rodriguez.
Rodriguez’s three-year, $34 million contract, which includes a vesting option for 2014 that kicks in due with any trade, is the big stumbling block here, with many suggesting he’s simply not worth the money. Trade talks with the Yankees reportedly broke down over how much cash the Astros would have to pick up.
The way I see it, Rodriguez is worth the $10 million he’s due next year and his $13 milion salary in 2013, but no one should be too eager to both take on the salary and part with any significant talent. Because of the contract, it’s possible he’ll remain available into August and get traded in a waiver deal.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)