Jul 31, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
And now FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Blue Jays have entered the mix for Rodriguez.
Rodriguez’s three-year, $34 million contract, which includes a vesting option for 2014 that kicks in due with any trade, is the big stumbling block here, with many suggesting he’s simply not worth the money. Trade talks with the Yankees reportedly broke down over how much cash the Astros would have to pick up.
The way I see it, Rodriguez is worth the $10 million he’s due next year and his $13 milion salary in 2013, but no one should be too eager to both take on the salary and part with any significant talent. Because of the contract, it’s possible he’ll remain available into August and get traded in a waiver deal.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)