Jul 31, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
And now FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Blue Jays have entered the mix for Rodriguez.
Rodriguez’s three-year, $34 million contract, which includes a vesting option for 2014 that kicks in due with any trade, is the big stumbling block here, with many suggesting he’s simply not worth the money. Trade talks with the Yankees reportedly broke down over how much cash the Astros would have to pick up.
The way I see it, Rodriguez is worth the $10 million he’s due next year and his $13 milion salary in 2013, but no one should be too eager to both take on the salary and part with any significant talent. Because of the contract, it’s possible he’ll remain available into August and get traded in a waiver deal.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)