Aug 1, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
They kept him around for a while as a bench player, but have rightly decided that the 19-year-old outfielder will be much better off playing regularly again and have sent him back to Double-A.
In fact, Trout announced the move via Twitter long before an official announcement was made.
Trout going back to the minors isn’t shocking, but his returning to Double-A is somewhat surprising given that he hit .324 with a .950 OPS in 75 games there before the call-up.
Choosing to send him back to Double-A rather than Triple-A suggests the Angels either don’t plan on Trout getting called up to stay for a while or are convinced he’s better off not posting ridiculous numbers in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League. Or maybe both. He turns 20 years old next week, so there will be plenty of time to knock around Triple-A pitchers if the Angels want to see Trout do that before he arrives in the majors for good. Whatever the case, he’ll likely be back in September and possibly for the playoffs.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)