Aug 1, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
They kept him around for a while as a bench player, but have rightly decided that the 19-year-old outfielder will be much better off playing regularly again and have sent him back to Double-A.
In fact, Trout announced the move via Twitter long before an official announcement was made.
Trout going back to the minors isn’t shocking, but his returning to Double-A is somewhat surprising given that he hit .324 with a .950 OPS in 75 games there before the call-up.
Choosing to send him back to Double-A rather than Triple-A suggests the Angels either don’t plan on Trout getting called up to stay for a while or are convinced he’s better off not posting ridiculous numbers in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League. Or maybe both. He turns 20 years old next week, so there will be plenty of time to knock around Triple-A pitchers if the Angels want to see Trout do that before he arrives in the majors for good. Whatever the case, he’ll likely be back in September and possibly for the playoffs.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)