Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’d hate to be a general manager around trade deadline time. So much to do. So many calls to make and return. Pressure from the owners above and the fans below and the need to be clear — crystal clear — about where the team currently stands on the success cycle and where it might be in two or three years.
And then your damn appendix goes crazy. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:
The trade deadline turned out to be a painful experience for Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman, who was hospitalized on Saturday and underwent an appendectomy Saturday night, then conducted business today from his hospital room.
Not much business, as the Rays stood pat at the deadline, but I doubt I’d feel like even firing up the laptop the morning after surgery, so good on ya Andrew Friedman, and feel better soon.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)