Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’d hate to be a general manager around trade deadline time. So much to do. So many calls to make and return. Pressure from the owners above and the fans below and the need to be clear — crystal clear — about where the team currently stands on the success cycle and where it might be in two or three years.
And then your damn appendix goes crazy. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:
The trade deadline turned out to be a painful experience for Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman, who was hospitalized on Saturday and underwent an appendectomy Saturday night, then conducted business today from his hospital room.
Not much business, as the Rays stood pat at the deadline, but I doubt I’d feel like even firing up the laptop the morning after surgery, so good on ya Andrew Friedman, and feel better soon.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 25
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)