Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’d hate to be a general manager around trade deadline time. So much to do. So many calls to make and return. Pressure from the owners above and the fans below and the need to be clear — crystal clear — about where the team currently stands on the success cycle and where it might be in two or three years.
And then your damn appendix goes crazy. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:
The trade deadline turned out to be a painful experience for Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman, who was hospitalized on Saturday and underwent an appendectomy Saturday night, then conducted business today from his hospital room.
Not much business, as the Rays stood pat at the deadline, but I doubt I’d feel like even firing up the laptop the morning after surgery, so good on ya Andrew Friedman, and feel better soon.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 35
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)