Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’d hate to be a general manager around trade deadline time. So much to do. So many calls to make and return. Pressure from the owners above and the fans below and the need to be clear — crystal clear — about where the team currently stands on the success cycle and where it might be in two or three years.
And then your damn appendix goes crazy. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:
The trade deadline turned out to be a painful experience for Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman, who was hospitalized on Saturday and underwent an appendectomy Saturday night, then conducted business today from his hospital room.
Not much business, as the Rays stood pat at the deadline, but I doubt I’d feel like even firing up the laptop the morning after surgery, so good on ya Andrew Friedman, and feel better soon.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (96)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)