Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I’d hate to be a general manager around trade deadline time. So much to do. So many calls to make and return. Pressure from the owners above and the fans below and the need to be clear — crystal clear — about where the team currently stands on the success cycle and where it might be in two or three years.
And then your damn appendix goes crazy. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:
The trade deadline turned out to be a painful experience for Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman, who was hospitalized on Saturday and underwent an appendectomy Saturday night, then conducted business today from his hospital room.
Not much business, as the Rays stood pat at the deadline, but I doubt I’d feel like even firing up the laptop the morning after surgery, so good on ya Andrew Friedman, and feel better soon.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)