Aug 1, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
As part of a two-year, $19 million deal signed with the Angels two offseasons ago Bobby Abreu got a $9 million option for 2012 that vested if he totaled at least 1,100 plate appearances between 2010 and 2011.
He reached that mark yesterday afternoon, although no one really noticed at the time because the Angels and Tigers were so busy showboating, throwing at people’s heads, bunting during no-hitters, and generally behaving badly.
Yet with 667 plate appearances last season and 433 trips to the plate so far this year Abreu is now under contract for $9 million next season, which is certainly more than the Angels would like to pay a 38-year-old corner outfielder/designated hitter with a .354 slugging percentage.
Abreu remains a remarkably effective base-stealer and his on-base skills are still excellent, as his 67 walks rank fourth in the league and his .380 on-base percentage ranks eighth despite a mediocre .264 batting average. However, his power is basically non-existent at this point with four homers and 19 doubles in 364 at-bats. Toss in sub par defense plus the likelihood that he’ll decline even further next year and the $9 million option vesting was a much better thing for Abreu than for the Angels.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)