Aug 1, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
As part of a two-year, $19 million deal signed with the Angels two offseasons ago Bobby Abreu got a $9 million option for 2012 that vested if he totaled at least 1,100 plate appearances between 2010 and 2011.
He reached that mark yesterday afternoon, although no one really noticed at the time because the Angels and Tigers were so busy showboating, throwing at people’s heads, bunting during no-hitters, and generally behaving badly.
Yet with 667 plate appearances last season and 433 trips to the plate so far this year Abreu is now under contract for $9 million next season, which is certainly more than the Angels would like to pay a 38-year-old corner outfielder/designated hitter with a .354 slugging percentage.
Abreu remains a remarkably effective base-stealer and his on-base skills are still excellent, as his 67 walks rank fourth in the league and his .380 on-base percentage ranks eighth despite a mediocre .264 batting average. However, his power is basically non-existent at this point with four homers and 19 doubles in 364 at-bats. Toss in sub par defense plus the likelihood that he’ll decline even further next year and the $9 million option vesting was a much better thing for Abreu than for the Angels.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires