Carlos Carrasco suspended six games for head hunting

Aug 1, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT

Carrasco_Carlos

I’ll take “things I missed because I was paying more attention to trades than I was to baseball this weekend” for $500, Alex!  From MLB:

Cleveland Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco has been suspended for six games and fined an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing a pitch in the head area of Kansas City’s Billy Butler during the top of the fourth inning of his Club’s Friday, July 29th game against the Royals at Progressive Field.

Jered Weaver, that’s your future, dude.

1. randall351 - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I was wondering how you could make such a stink about weaver and not mention this at all.

Better late than never I guess.

2. Alex K - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Good. I wish the suspension was 15 games (3 starts). There is never a reason to throw at someone’s head.

• hittfamily - Aug 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM

If Billy Butler had a dangerous spider on his helmet, would that be a reason to throw at his head?

• mlp3180 - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM

And Butler was an innocent bystander in this wasn’t he? Carrasco threw at him after Melky Cabrera “admired” his grand slam a bit too long.

I’m with you on the starts. It seems like suspensions hurt a position player much more than a starting pitcher who’s only going every 5 games anyway. Carrasco will probably appeal the suspension, have it reduced to 4 games, and not have to miss a turn in the rotation.

3. ezwriter69 - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Weaver oughta face at least that… and maybe criminal prosecution for attempted murder, in these guys hand’s a baseball’s a potentially lethal weapon… if it’d been me, I’d have gone after him with my bat, the gutless punk knew he wouldn’t even have to bat against them.

• ezwriter69 - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Okay, assault with a deadly weapon, not attempted murder…

• pauleee - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’ll take “Internet Tough Guys” for $1000, Alex.

4. FC - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Oh Carlos… say it ain’t so. So many of my countrymen are temperamental to a fault. It feels like for every few classy Major Leaguers there seem to be a number of headcases. For every Vizquel there’s a Miguel Cabrera, For every Abreu, there’s a K-Rod, For every Jesus Guzman there’s an Ozzie Guillen… and so it goes… no wonder whenever that group gets together for the World Classic they tank!

• The Rabbit - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM

So many of my countrymen are temperamental to a fault.

@FC You say that like it’s a bad thing. Personally, I’m a big fan of non-violent emotion and I can truly say that “my country” has its fair share of native born temperamental males. (In baseball, see: Weaver, Jared; Strasberg, Stephen, for starters)

In addition, my cat, Ozzie G, takes offense to your description of Ozzie as a “headcase”. Some of us….well, not Old Gator, but I’ll overlook it…find Ozzie’s lack of self-censorship refreshing and honest, unlike the cr*p shoveled at us by corporate and political media consultants and its daily required regurgitation foisted on us by rich media moguls.

• FC - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:36 PM

@FC You say that like it’s a bad thing

Yes it is. You play baseball for a profession. It’s still a profession, and you should act accordingly. Most often you represent a city, an organization and a nation or culture.

Ozzie’s problem is the lack of coherent thought processes, there’s a place and a way to say honest things, but he does more damage than good, he consistently says things without thinking them through. He could be honest and refreshing without the rambling tirades and the 15 to 20 bleeps he gets per minute. That guy is NOT a role model by any stretch of the imagination.

You just find him vulgarly entertaining because he’s such a contrarian, I find him depressing, as the only Venezuelan MLB Manager, he is the most visual and important representative of the country in MLB and he should be and do better than that. It’s a shame he doesn’t, I can’t wait for him to get fired, retire or disappear.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I think its a pity you feel that way FC. Ozzie’s players always seem to like him, he’s won a WS, you know what he thinks, and you know he cares about how his team does. Its not just a job to Ozzie. I respect him for that, even if he comes off a touch head-case like but I always feel like that’s cause he’s trying to convey extreme emotion in a language to which he isn’t native.

Carasco on the other hand, well he’s worth the embarrassment factor. WTF was he thinking, throwing at a guy? Same with Weaver. Was he mental? Those 2 are the same degree of embarrassment. They ought to share their suspension chained together as a symbol to others who do dumba$$ stuff like that.

• FC - Aug 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I think its a pity you feel that way FC

Pity me not. If you enjoy that buffoon, more power to you. Me, I’ll spend my time paying attention to people more worthy of it. I already explained myself, I have nothing more to add.

• The Rabbit - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM

As usual, I agree with cur’s comments (regarding Carasco and Weaver, too). I suspect our difference in perception may be gender based, the way we view baseball, and/or cultural.
      First, I’m female; therefore, I see no player as a role model nor a representative of “my” or anyone’s else’s country, nationality, etc. I love the fact that MLB is an international game and that players from all over the world excel at the sport. The very fact that you are in Venezuela and cur is in Canada commenting on the same topic is something I truly enjoy.
      BTW-You might find it disappointing or under the circumstances, be pleased, but I doubt that the large majority of the American baseball fans even know that Ozzie is Venezuelan. From the majority of comments I’ve read, they think everyone connected with baseball who has a Latin surname (including those born in the US) are from the Dominican Republic.
      Second, I love the game of baseball but I don’t view it as a profession the way you do. Actually, I don’t hold reverence for any profession/vocation. These are grown men displaying their athletic skills in a schoolyard game. Even though I follow every team and watch parts of almost every game, it’s no more complicated for me than that.
      Finally, I do find Ozzie entertaining but not “vulgarly” so. Ozzie is no more vulgar than the attorneys, CPA’s, and stock brokers that I worked with in New York City, Boston, and Philly nor than any of the men (or women, for that matter) in the Italian neighborhoods in which I’ve lived. He probably learned his English from some of them. :-) While some may find his expressions a little too colorful, no one can discount his love of the sport and his desire to win.
      I am sorry you can’t enjoy or respect all the facets of Ozzie that I do.

• FC - Aug 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM

I am sorry you can’t enjoy or respect all the facets of Ozzie that I do.

Do not waste such sentiment on me. You enjoy it, great for you! Whether you like it or not Ozzie IS a role model because of his station in life and the uniqueness of his situation. Many a Venezuelan kid and young baseball player look to the Major Leaguers as guides and inspiration. Ozzie is exhibit A on how not to behave. The fact that he can’t understand that his position demands a certain level of accountability and poise doesn’t excuse his foolishness. Again, he can get his point across without resorting to the crap that he does. The fact that he acts like he doesn’t care is just him being selfish.

Many other Venezuelan minor leaguers or players start pulling the same stupid actions or similar crap because hey: Magglio does it. Miguel does it. Ozzie does it… So it’s OK to talk crap, it’s OK to lose your temper and show up the other players, it’s OK to drink and party and be late for games. it’s OK to throw pitches at batters heads… Disgraceful!

But I don’t expect you to understand. To you he’s just a colorful guy who talks back to “the man” and “the corporation”. That entertains you and makes your day, so you don’t put him in the same category as the other trouble makers, because he primarily makes trouble for the “corporation”. You have no idea on how bad an influence he and others like him are to the future generations who don’t understand how lucky they are to be athletic and talented enough to get a job that most often lifts them and their family out of poverty.

5. crankyfrankie - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM

This did not begin last week. Both Drysdale and Gibson had no problem throwing at a batter head that would dig in against them. Throwing at a batter’s head is dangerous. If you wanted to hurt them, however, one would throw behind their head as the natural inclination is to duck which would cause you to get hit in the face. No this is not an endorsement but this has been going on a long time.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey