HBT Weekend Wrapup

Aug 1, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

trading places

Really, it was all trades this weekend, and we had you covered like a jimmy hat on that stuff.  If you’re simply looking to see who went where, check out the HBT Trade Deadline Tracker, which has all the specifics of all of the deals.  If you’re looking for something a touch more in depth, try this:

Now that the trade deadline is over we can all breathe again.  You heard me. Breathe.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM

“Wang did not rise to the occasion”…..I know it is juvenile and dumb but it makes me giggle.

2. Jonny 5 - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Something strange occurred to me over the weekend when listening to Pence talk about being traded to Philly, remembering Lee taking a smaller contract to come to Philly, remembering Halladay and how excited he was to take a discount contract to play in Philadelphia. Something has changed. This city is now a city people desire to play in. Kinda strange for me because I grew up having to swallow failure after failure and player after player wishing to be moved out of the city. But it’s nice for a change. Quoted from SI over the weekend, something else to make me think Hmmmm? and smile. Philly gets a discount again.

“And one league source just told me something that surprised me. “Nnamdi wanted to play in Philadelphia,” the source said. More than New York, where Rex Ryan was planning to make Asomugha and Revis his defensive centerpieces? Yes, the source said.

The contract is stunning — just $12 million a year for a player who made $28 million over the last two years and was the hottest player on the free agent market. So the source appears to be spot on: Clearly Asomugha would have been offered more by at least one other team. The $12 million annual figure is what the Panthers paid defensive end Charles Johnson this week. Clearly there was something enticing about this Eagles bid, possibly the ability to go to a team with the chance to win the Super Bowl from the NFC.”

I know, How dare I post football stuff….. I will now hang my head in shame once again.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I posted something similar to this over the weekend and some confrontational Giants fan went at me about the Cliff Lee deal. I agree, it is amazing. It is hard for people to accept that the notion of the “Philadelphia sports fan” is misguided. The fans in this city are amazing…passionate and amazing. They show up and give their all to support the team. Furthermore, the popular conception about Philadelphia is it is a dirty, disgusting city….which could not be further from the truth. Sure, it isn’t as beautiful as San Francisco, but South Philadelphia, Old City, Society Hill, etc. are beautiful areas with tons of historical and cultural facilities. People always forget stuff like that. Furthermore, Philadelphia has the perfect suburban area for athletes to live in. The Main Line is a wonderful posh place for families with great educational opportunities and the like. All that factor in to make Philadelphia a “destination” city. People just need to drop the misconceptions perpetuated by the national media.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

“Furthermore, Philadelphia has the perfect suburban area for athletes to live in.”

We have a slew of Philadelphia athletes in and out of my area all the time. Southern NJ has some really nice areas 20 minutes from the parks. All of those videos on the news of our millionaire players “practicing” on that nice turf field during the lockout, is in my home town. The turf field we fought against having built but the mayor had other plans…… I guess so millionaire football players arguing over money could borrow it for free…..

4. The Common Man - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

That picture reminds me that Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy were both ridiculously funny once, and the thought of what they’ve become just makes me sad.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Eddie Murphy is the prime example of comedian gone bad. One day when a comedian is just awesome, then comes out and ends up being terrible, they’ll say he just pulled an Eddie Murphy.

Gooney Goo Goo Gus. Gooney Goo Goo.

• FC - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Nowadays they’re just ridiculous.

5. spudchukar - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Sounds like it won’t be long before the Phillies change their name to the Saints.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet