Aug 1, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
GM Sandy Alderson said it’s simply a “tweak in the schedule, not a setback,” but Johan Santana had his second scheduled rehab start for Single-A St. Lucie pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday because he didn’t feel as strong as hoped after his last outing, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
It means Santana will be going on six days’ rest after throwing three scoreless innings his first time out.
Santana showed pretty good velocity his first outing back, working at 88-90 mph, but that his arm didn’t bounce back afterwards suggests that he still needs to be considered something of a long shot to contribute this year.
Santana has been out since last September following surgery to repair a torn shoulder capsule.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 32
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)