Aug 1, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
GM Sandy Alderson said it’s simply a “tweak in the schedule, not a setback,” but Johan Santana had his second scheduled rehab start for Single-A St. Lucie pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday because he didn’t feel as strong as hoped after his last outing, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
It means Santana will be going on six days’ rest after throwing three scoreless innings his first time out.
Santana showed pretty good velocity his first outing back, working at 88-90 mph, but that his arm didn’t bounce back afterwards suggests that he still needs to be considered something of a long shot to contribute this year.
Santana has been out since last September following surgery to repair a torn shoulder capsule.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)