Aug 1, 2011, 6:03 PM EST
GM Sandy Alderson said it’s simply a “tweak in the schedule, not a setback,” but Johan Santana had his second scheduled rehab start for Single-A St. Lucie pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday because he didn’t feel as strong as hoped after his last outing, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
It means Santana will be going on six days’ rest after throwing three scoreless innings his first time out.
Santana showed pretty good velocity his first outing back, working at 88-90 mph, but that his arm didn’t bounce back afterwards suggests that he still needs to be considered something of a long shot to contribute this year.
Santana has been out since last September following surgery to repair a torn shoulder capsule.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)