Aug 1, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
GM Sandy Alderson said it’s simply a “tweak in the schedule, not a setback,” but Johan Santana had his second scheduled rehab start for Single-A St. Lucie pushed back from Wednesday to Thursday because he didn’t feel as strong as hoped after his last outing, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
It means Santana will be going on six days’ rest after throwing three scoreless innings his first time out.
Santana showed pretty good velocity his first outing back, working at 88-90 mph, but that his arm didn’t bounce back afterwards suggests that he still needs to be considered something of a long shot to contribute this year.
Santana has been out since last September following surgery to repair a torn shoulder capsule.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)