Aug 1, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
We’re all aware of the subtle racism that creeps into sports broadcasts, writing and general fan chatter. About how the white guy is a hard worker and the black guy is gifted. About how the Latino guy is lazy and the white dude is nursing a hidden injury. About how you can tell the hustlers from the loafers by the color of their skin. It’s all so common. Just ask B.J. Upton here. He gets that crap all the time.
But it’s also totally anecdotal. We point it out when we see it, but just how pervasive is it really? That’s the question that Seth from Dingersblog.com is trying to figure out, all scientific-like.
Seth has been tracking this stuff anecdotally for a long time, but now he and a grad student have come up with a way to quantify the instances of subconsciously-racist commentary, and to do it, they need to pay some people to watch a lot of sports and sports news. To that end, they’ve set up a Kickstarter account to grab some donations. Click here if you’d like to help the project.
I’m very curious to see what this all amounts to. Sometimes things are worse than we think. Sometimes we see something objectionable — like the subtle racism — and point it out to the point where it becomes overblown. I’m not sure how this will all cut, but I’d like to find out.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 8
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)