Aug 1, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We kinda knew this was gonna happen last week when he was designated for assignment, but it’s kind of a bummer anyway: Matt Stairs has been released by the Nationals.
It’s probably retirement/hockey coaching time for Stairs who, at 43, managed only a .154/.257/.169 line with no homers this year. Overall, however, he had a fine career, hitting .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers.
Happy trails, Matt Stairs.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)