Aug 1, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We kinda knew this was gonna happen last week when he was designated for assignment, but it’s kind of a bummer anyway: Matt Stairs has been released by the Nationals.
It’s probably retirement/hockey coaching time for Stairs who, at 43, managed only a .154/.257/.169 line with no homers this year. Overall, however, he had a fine career, hitting .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers.
Happy trails, Matt Stairs.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)