Aug 1, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We kinda knew this was gonna happen last week when he was designated for assignment, but it’s kind of a bummer anyway: Matt Stairs has been released by the Nationals.
It’s probably retirement/hockey coaching time for Stairs who, at 43, managed only a .154/.257/.169 line with no homers this year. Overall, however, he had a fine career, hitting .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers.
Happy trails, Matt Stairs.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)