Aug 1, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
We kinda knew this was gonna happen last week when he was designated for assignment, but it’s kind of a bummer anyway: Matt Stairs has been released by the Nationals.
It’s probably retirement/hockey coaching time for Stairs who, at 43, managed only a .154/.257/.169 line with no homers this year. Overall, however, he had a fine career, hitting .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers.
Happy trails, Matt Stairs.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)