Aug 1, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Baez still has two months left on a two-year, $5.25 million deal, but his 5.81 ERA in 84 total innings for the Phillies included allowing 17 runs in his final 12 innings.
Baez is still just 33 years old, but he hasn’t managed even 6.0 strikeouts per nine innings since way back in 2005, when he saved 41 games with a 2.86 ERA as Tampa Bay’s closer. In six seasons since then Baez has a 5.16 ERA in 265 innings.
Expect him to latch on somewhere with a minor-league contract. His last non-rehab assignment stint in the minors? Triple-A for the Indians in 2001.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)