Aug 1, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Baez still has two months left on a two-year, $5.25 million deal, but his 5.81 ERA in 84 total innings for the Phillies included allowing 17 runs in his final 12 innings.
Baez is still just 33 years old, but he hasn’t managed even 6.0 strikeouts per nine innings since way back in 2005, when he saved 41 games with a 2.86 ERA as Tampa Bay’s closer. In six seasons since then Baez has a 5.16 ERA in 265 innings.
Expect him to latch on somewhere with a minor-league contract. His last non-rehab assignment stint in the minors? Triple-A for the Indians in 2001.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)