Aug 1, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Baez still has two months left on a two-year, $5.25 million deal, but his 5.81 ERA in 84 total innings for the Phillies included allowing 17 runs in his final 12 innings.
Baez is still just 33 years old, but he hasn’t managed even 6.0 strikeouts per nine innings since way back in 2005, when he saved 41 games with a 2.86 ERA as Tampa Bay’s closer. In six seasons since then Baez has a 5.16 ERA in 265 innings.
Expect him to latch on somewhere with a minor-league contract. His last non-rehab assignment stint in the minors? Triple-A for the Indians in 2001.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)