Aug 1, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Many people questioned why the Rays kept Desmond Jennings at Triple-A for so long, allowing the speedy outfielder to rack up 230 games and nearly 1,000 plate appearances in parts of three seasons in Durham, but now that he’s in the majors the 24-year-old rookie is thriving.
Jennings got some brief action in Tampa Bay last season, but through nine games since his call-up last month he’s batting .333 with six walks and five stolen bases. He’s gotten on base 19 times in nine games for a .463 on-base percentage and five of his 11 hits have gone for extra bases, which is good for a .576 slugging percentage.
He’ll eventually come back down to earth, but Jennings ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season and earned the long-awaited promotion by hitting .283 with a .374 OBP and 69 steals in 230 games at Triple-A. If/when the Rays trade B.J. Upton it figures that Jennings will take over for him as the long-term center fielder, but for now he’ll flank Upton as the Rays hope Jennings can be a poor man’s (or at least young man’s) Carl Crawford in left field.
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 2
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)