Aug 1, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Many people questioned why the Rays kept Desmond Jennings at Triple-A for so long, allowing the speedy outfielder to rack up 230 games and nearly 1,000 plate appearances in parts of three seasons in Durham, but now that he’s in the majors the 24-year-old rookie is thriving.
Jennings got some brief action in Tampa Bay last season, but through nine games since his call-up last month he’s batting .333 with six walks and five stolen bases. He’s gotten on base 19 times in nine games for a .463 on-base percentage and five of his 11 hits have gone for extra bases, which is good for a .576 slugging percentage.
He’ll eventually come back down to earth, but Jennings ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects coming into the season and earned the long-awaited promotion by hitting .283 with a .374 OBP and 69 steals in 230 games at Triple-A. If/when the Rays trade B.J. Upton it figures that Jennings will take over for him as the long-term center fielder, but for now he’ll flank Upton as the Rays hope Jennings can be a poor man’s (or at least young man’s) Carl Crawford in left field.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 3
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)