Study: Major League injuries on the rise

Aug 1, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT

Posey injury 2.bmp

Most of us never read actual studies. Just abstracts. Mostly because we have short attention spans.  But hey, that’s life. Oh, look! Something shiny!

Latest abstract of a study we won’t read: one in the American Journal of Sports Medicine that says that MLB injuries are on the rise.

The upshot: there are more injuries among Major League Baseball players “despite advances in conditioning methods and injury treatments.” The study used “the number of players on the disabled list over a seven-year period to gauge the elite athletes’ risk of getting hurt.”

Query: isn’t it possible that we just have better diagnosis and more cautious teams now and that (a) there are just as many guys getting hurt now as there used to be, but we find more of these injuries today than we used to; and (b) teams are way more likely to DL an expensive asset these days whereas, is years past, there was a greater push for guys to “play through it” and thus not be DL’d?

I imagine that if I read the whole study, these queries may be addressed, but who has time for that in bloggyland?

1. bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I agree with your assessment partially. I know in football, the rate of ACL tears has jumped significantly. Mainly BECAUSE training has gotten the human body bigger and more importantly, HEAVIER due to the extra muscle being put on. I’m not a large guy, at 5’8″ 160lbs at normal, eat what I want weight. If i started working out and and ended up putting on say, 30lb of muscle, thats 30lbs that my ACL is not ‘designed’ to be carrying around. Now, start running around faster and making tigher turns and all of a sudden, your ACL just isn’t up to the task. If you were doing the same thing minus 30lbs, you’d probably be fine… but you’d also not be strong enough to compete.

2. shaggylocks - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Oh dear. You know that sad, empty feeling you get after your fun and lively house guests leave after visiting for one week? That’s how I feel now that the trading deadline has passed.

Maybe I should just go stir things up with the Phillies phans in the other thread; maybe that’ll cure my trading-deadline hangover…

3. halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I have said it before in the past and I will say it again. Modern day players do too much weight lifting and nautilus training. Guys years ago were less frequently hurt when they ran, did pushups and situps, and drank more beer.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Hey, drink more beer. I like that idea ‘ceps……I should be indestructible!

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Exactly. All the greats drank beer. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Mike Schmidt, etc. The list goes on and on.

• crpls - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Yeah, worked out well for Mickey, eh?

4. hebrahhammer - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM

The title of this post really grabbed my interest, but I was obviously disappointed when I was confronted with so much text. Can you please link to a video summary?

5. paperlions - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Teams also put players on the DL with fake injuries pretty often these days as a way to expand the roster without demoting/cutting a guy that is struggling….or as a way to get a guy to the minors via a “rehab” assignment so he can work through his struggles.

• spudchukar - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Not only that but injuries are reported much more often these days, the “take it like a man” days are over, as teams emphasize not allowing minor injuries to become major ones.

• granted42 - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I’m still waiting for the Giants to put Zito on the 1000 day DL with a “strained forearm muscle.” He’s been so ineffective that there HAS to be some sort of injury they can make up to keep him out of the rotation forever.

6. heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Tis a bleak time for obliques……I think I injured mine reading this article

7. gallaghedj311 - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM

While I generally scoff at ur posts, Craig the Philly hater, I found this an entertaining post.

8. iranuke - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I was interested enough to click through and read the article, and their guess was the loss of the ability to take steroids.

• ta192 - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Certainly the 1st thing many will think of…

9. APBA Guy - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Bigger stronger faster, and longer seasons. My 3 nephews all average 140 games a year-in high school. One just visited Dr. Andrews, one has a Clay Buchholz stress fracture, and one is an indestructible tank of monstrous proportions. I never had more than a sprained ankle, with my 30 games a year in high school. And turns out I was playing with a strained rotator cuff. Upshot is, lots of contributors to the increase in injuries, and as long as there is more money involved-trust me, those HS kids are playing for scholarships-there will be more injuries. That trend is not abating.

10. cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Well, I’m not going to look up the article thru the university (not shiny enough) but I’ll inch out on a limb and say something like “the increasingly common use of MRIs to diagnose has increased the detection of injuries like stress fractures and strains which do not show any where near as well on xray”.
    …YAWN…naptime….zzzzzzzz