Aug 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
The exact timeline is unclear, but the Trenton Times reports that the Yankees are going to call up catcher Jesus Montero “in the very near future.”
Montero was rumored to be the fodder of a possible Ubaldo Jimenez deal at the deadline, but one gets the sense that the Yankees weren’t keen on trading him. It probably is high time, however, that they figure out exactly what they have in this kid. A catcher by trade, his bat is his calling card, and when he comes to New York he’d likely spend a good amount of time at DH.
He’s hitting .283/.342/.429 with ten homers in AAA this year. Last year he hit to the tune of .289/.353/.517. Still, it’s worth remembering that he’s only 21, even if he has been talked about for what seems like forever.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)