Aug 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
The exact timeline is unclear, but the Trenton Times reports that the Yankees are going to call up catcher Jesus Montero “in the very near future.”
Montero was rumored to be the fodder of a possible Ubaldo Jimenez deal at the deadline, but one gets the sense that the Yankees weren’t keen on trading him. It probably is high time, however, that they figure out exactly what they have in this kid. A catcher by trade, his bat is his calling card, and when he comes to New York he’d likely spend a good amount of time at DH.
He’s hitting .283/.342/.429 with ten homers in AAA this year. Last year he hit to the tune of .289/.353/.517. Still, it’s worth remembering that he’s only 21, even if he has been talked about for what seems like forever.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20