Ubaldo Jimenez to make Indians debut Friday versus Rangers

Aug 1, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

Ubaldo Jimenez AP

Throwing one terrible inning under odd circumstances Saturday night as Colorado and Cleveland were putting the finishes touches on their blockbuster trade screwed up Ubaldo Jimenez‘s usual throwing schedule, so his Indians debut won’t come until Friday against the Rangers.

That means he’ll have one extra day of rest between starts, even though his last “start” consisted of throwing 45 pitches and recording three outs. Jimenez will have 12 days off between his last non-weird Rockies start and his first Indians start.

When pitching on more than five days of rest Jimenez has a 5.24 ERA in 13 career starts and he’ll have a tough first assignment, as the Rangers lead the league in runs scored at home while hitting .294 with a .511 slugging percentage in Texas as a team.

Of course, Jimenez is used to pitching in tough ballparks. He has a 3.67 ERA in 66 starts at Coors Field.

1. b7p19 - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I hope he does really well. I’m going to start a petition for a Pirates vs. Indians WS.

2. Ari Collins - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I’m rooting for Ubaldo and the Indians. But I’m very glad he’s missing my Sox.

3. yankeesgameday - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Eh, five innings, four runs, five Ks, five hits and a walk in a no decision. Welcome to the AL Ubaldo.

• Ari Collins - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM

… when did that happen?

• yankeesgameday - Aug 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

That was my prediction for what would happen in ubaldo’s first start for Cleveland. Here is what actually happened: 5 innings, 7 hits, 5 runs, 3 bb, 7 k, 1 HR in a no decision.

I essentially nailed what his line would be a week ago. I’ve been saying for weeks the rockies knew something was up with this guy. No other reason to try and trade him.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB