Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
My original impulse to do power rankings was two-fold: (1) to force myself to actually look back at how each team did in the past week because I sometimes lose track, especially over the weekend; and (2) to have someplace to put occasional random observations about teams that wouldn’t justify their own blog post.
I should add a third reason to it: annoying Phillies fans.
I’ve had the Phillies either at or tied for number one for at least a month solid. Maybe longer, I haven’t checked, but for a good while. Yet I still get comments like these, both from Twitter this afternoon:
“you’re determined to use any excuse to keep from admitting the Phillies are the best team in baseball this season.”
“It’s a total cop out that you keep the phils tied w the bosox. they’ve had the best record in either league for 3 months.”
I guess I’ll have to come up with some rank higher than one. Like, one-half. Although I guess I’ll be accused of not respecting the Phillies enough to give them an integer.
Seriously, Phillies fans: why on Earth do you worry so much about what people think of your team?
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)