Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
My original impulse to do power rankings was two-fold: (1) to force myself to actually look back at how each team did in the past week because I sometimes lose track, especially over the weekend; and (2) to have someplace to put occasional random observations about teams that wouldn’t justify their own blog post.
I should add a third reason to it: annoying Phillies fans.
I’ve had the Phillies either at or tied for number one for at least a month solid. Maybe longer, I haven’t checked, but for a good while. Yet I still get comments like these, both from Twitter this afternoon:
“you’re determined to use any excuse to keep from admitting the Phillies are the best team in baseball this season.”
“It’s a total cop out that you keep the phils tied w the bosox. they’ve had the best record in either league for 3 months.”
I guess I’ll have to come up with some rank higher than one. Like, one-half. Although I guess I’ll be accused of not respecting the Phillies enough to give them an integer.
Seriously, Phillies fans: why on Earth do you worry so much about what people think of your team?
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)