Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
My original impulse to do power rankings was two-fold: (1) to force myself to actually look back at how each team did in the past week because I sometimes lose track, especially over the weekend; and (2) to have someplace to put occasional random observations about teams that wouldn’t justify their own blog post.
I should add a third reason to it: annoying Phillies fans.
I’ve had the Phillies either at or tied for number one for at least a month solid. Maybe longer, I haven’t checked, but for a good while. Yet I still get comments like these, both from Twitter this afternoon:
“you’re determined to use any excuse to keep from admitting the Phillies are the best team in baseball this season.”
“It’s a total cop out that you keep the phils tied w the bosox. they’ve had the best record in either league for 3 months.”
I guess I’ll have to come up with some rank higher than one. Like, one-half. Although I guess I’ll be accused of not respecting the Phillies enough to give them an integer.
Seriously, Phillies fans: why on Earth do you worry so much about what people think of your team?
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)