Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
My original impulse to do power rankings was two-fold: (1) to force myself to actually look back at how each team did in the past week because I sometimes lose track, especially over the weekend; and (2) to have someplace to put occasional random observations about teams that wouldn’t justify their own blog post.
I should add a third reason to it: annoying Phillies fans.
I’ve had the Phillies either at or tied for number one for at least a month solid. Maybe longer, I haven’t checked, but for a good while. Yet I still get comments like these, both from Twitter this afternoon:
“you’re determined to use any excuse to keep from admitting the Phillies are the best team in baseball this season.”
“It’s a total cop out that you keep the phils tied w the bosox. they’ve had the best record in either league for 3 months.”
I guess I’ll have to come up with some rank higher than one. Like, one-half. Although I guess I’ll be accused of not respecting the Phillies enough to give them an integer.
Seriously, Phillies fans: why on Earth do you worry so much about what people think of your team?
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)