Why do I do Power Rankings again?

Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

My original impulse to do power rankings was two-fold: (1) to force myself to actually look back at how each team did in the past week because I sometimes lose track, especially over the weekend; and (2) to have someplace to put occasional random observations about teams that wouldn’t justify their own blog post.

I should add a third reason to it: annoying Phillies fans.

I’ve had the Phillies either at or tied for number one for at least a month solid. Maybe longer, I haven’t checked, but for a good while.  Yet I still get comments like these, both from Twitter this afternoon:

“you’re determined to use any excuse to keep from admitting the Phillies are the best team in baseball this season.”

and

“It’s a total cop out that you keep the phils tied w the bosox. they’ve had the best record in either league for 3 months.”

I guess I’ll have to come up with some rank higher than one.  Like, one-half.  Although I guess I’ll be accused of not respecting the Phillies enough to give them an integer.

1. dlindstedt2 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Because most Philly fans are bandwagon hoppers. The minute their team sucks they move on.

This doesnt mean all. Because I know some of you guys are die hard, been there since birth Philly fans. But the majority are band wagon hoppers and they only care now because their team is winning.

Where were they when they were the sorriest franchise and the first to 10,000 loses. That is my point. It has been known that Philly fans are the worst. And I can’t wait for the responses to this one.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM

…..before my fellow Phils fans chime in and start yelling at you like a 14 year old kid playing on his X-box, I think “majority” isn’t necessarily true…..

No, see you’re only hearing the loudest ones, same vapid fools that boo Cole Hamels on day one, and then don’t say another word about him and won’t until he hits a twp game “get him out of here slump”…….you’re hearing the lion in the jungle because he’s the loudest, and you’re assuming that’s all there is in the jungle……

Not so my judgemental friend, most of us are normal fans……it’s not unlike the standard extended family…..bunch of decent people and the one dude who ends up in the newspaper for getting caught streaking through the car wash on Meth….

no need to be a jerk nugget pleading for a response either …..you’ll get your oh so important 5 minutes of internet fame :-)

• Paul - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM

As a die-hard Phillies fan I largely agree. The bandwagon jumpers (at least those in PA) don’t move on to different teams, but they move on to different sports. The swing in the amount of Eagles gear v Phillies gear over the past couple years has been huge. It used to be an Eagles town year round, now its largely the opposite. I can’t say that I don’t fall victim to this to some degree as well.

As for their ranking. Putting them tied makes sense. It generates page views and comments, it lets a Braves fan have a little F-U to the Phils, and, frankly, its probably pretty appropriate. Boston WILL make it to the World Series were-as you could see a couple things happening where the Phils don’t make it.

• b7p19 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

“it lets a Braves fan have a little F-U to the Phils,”

It seemed like a perfectly reasonable response until you proved his point with that little quote.

• Paul - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM

b7p19 – Craig alluded previous posts that he does it for this reason. Frankly, if I was in his position I would do it too. Nice way to have a little fun and generate page views.

Remember, its all in fun. That applies to us as readers and Craig as a blogger. Its the asshats that forget that (Phillies fans or not) that I can’t stand.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Again….to my earlier point because i’ve been in this town over 30 years…..I see it with eagles fans all day long, would agree 100%……but by in large, the Phils fan base is nowhere near as rabid…..

You’re confusing the bird’s fans posing as Phils fans because there’s not football for them to watch while chewing on rawhide and drinking cases of beer till their liver explodes with the bulk of the Phils nation….as smart a fan base as there is out there

• Paul - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

@heyblueyoustink – Very well said. Nailed exactly what I was going for in a much clearer way.

• b7p19 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM

No question, i agree with you. Just thought it was funny that you did technically do the one thing that he said Phillies fans do.

• Paul - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

@B7- Totally accurate response!

• RedHeadedBastard - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

i agree with you 100% on this, but it is also true for fans of all teams.

• kellyb9 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM

As a Phillies fan, I agree. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers…. BUT that happens to just about any team that has enjoyed some bit of measurable success. Look at the Pirates finally drawing some fans after years of putting out a crappy product. Unless your a fan of maybe the Red Sox or the Yankees, every other team in the world has had issues putting fans, wearing team merch, in their seats.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM

You are on the wrong site if you expect some time of hostile response to your comment. The Phillies fans on here are generally knowledgeable about the team, it’s history, and it’s struggles. There are plenty of fans who only follow in good times as there are Phillies fans not from Philadelphia who only know the good times. I’ve followed the team since I was 13 years old, through thick and thin. From Mike Schmidt to Gregg Jefferies to Mike Lieberthal and Randy Wolf to this current squad. The bad times only make the good all the more special.

• everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Where were they when they were the first to 10,000 losses? All the way back in 2007? They were 8th in the league in attendance that year…sure, not 1st like they are this year, but it’s not like you had to crawl through the sewers looking for fans.

And just for the record, find me a team that DOESN’T have at least a somewhat noticeable spike in the number of obnoxious fans as soon as they start doing well. For every Phillies fan this past offseason talking about how excited they were for our rotation, there was a Giants fan there to talk about how the NLCS proved their rotation was better than ours.

I’m not immune to these criticisms–I’ve been an Eagles season ticket holder since ’98 and been going to Phillies games regularly since not much later, and I know that there’s more than a fair share of idiots out there. But some of the criticisms just aren’t fair.

And to say “I can’t wait for the responses to this one” basically acknowledges that you’re trying to troll Philly fans, so don’t go moral high ground on me here.

• professor59 - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Agree. Had anyone heard the phrase “Red Sox Nation” before they won anything? Not me.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM

What intricate calculations have you come up with to determine that a majority of a fanbase are bandwagon jumpers? Have you taken a survey of the several million plus population of the philly metro area? I’d love to read your analysis. Somehow, someway you’ve been able to determine the mindset of a whole fanbase of a city and it’s surrounding areas. Fascinating….

• xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I love the philly haters and the few philly people who actually have decided that this is true. Again, it’s amazing that you few people somehow have a handle on the thousands upon thousands of sports fans that populate the Philly metro area. Wow. Amazing. Also, as we all know, there are never the same type of reactions to losing from any other fanbase. It’s all just the Philly fanbase. Again, amazing. If you read the comment boards of any other team after a series of losses, it’s never people complaining about the team or making comments that could be perceived as jumping ship. This ONLY happens with Phillies fans. Stunning. There are 3 sure things in life as the saying goes. Death, taxes, and a group of douche bags who have to claim that they are die hard fans while everyone else is a bandwagon jumper. It’s as old as time itself.

2. largebill - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Why do you do Power Rankings? Quite simply because it generates traffic and makes for good arguments/conversations.

3. illcomm - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Honestly..you should be replaced. if you don’t have an ability to do the rankings and choose a number 1 and 2 team…u might as well not do the power rankings at all.

• leokitty - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Having pretty equal teams ranked equally is a perfectly valid ranking. Sorry that the Red Sox are also super duper good.

• kellyb9 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM

are you really THAT upset he didn’t choose between a number 1 and 2? It’s generating discussion which I think is the point.

• 18thstreet - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM

It’s really a shame that there’s only one site on the Internet, and that you’re forced to read it.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

He should be replaced because he has an opinion that two teams are equally good and we won’t find out unless they meet in the Series…….dude, were you raised by Khans?

• bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM

No, he should simply not do it if he’s not prepared to rank one above the other. Thats the point of rankings. We know they’re fun, and don’t matter. Thats why its OK to just pick one to put on top. This isn’t the BCS. This is August Baseball.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Even more to the point. It’s August baseball….they’re 6 up in the loss column and now have a balanced line up and have Oswalt coming back.

I love this site, and Craig’s insight has kept me coming here for information, banter, and fun for years now…..but I could give a rat’s ass as to who ranks them where, for the exact reasons I just listed.

In his opinion, they’re on equal grounds. And you’re right, this isn’t the BCS, because he doesn’t get a vote…..if he did, we might be wondering how the hell the Bravos got double secret bonus points and a life time’s supply of pie ;-)

• aaronmoreno - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Honestly, you’re not talking, and this isn’t some literary device intended to show your inability to spit out a sentence. Ellipses are not commas.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Ha! …….Ha!…….Ha!……. send me the fine in the mail…….

Sincerely,

The Grammar Liberation Front

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Don’t listen to him blueyoustink….I use the “…..” all the time. Furthermore, why do people come onto message board with the sole contribution of correcting grammar? It’s obnoxious.

4. cktai - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Who cares about twitter. I love the power rankings.

5. illcomm - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM

oh yeah…hey dlondstedts….on the night of the 10,000th loss…game was a sellout…44,872…

• b7p19 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I don’t mean this as a knock on phillies fans, but it was a sellout because they were good at the time right? If I remember correctly they won their division, so this does not confirm or disprove dlondstedts accusation.

• everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Kinda irrelevant, because he was responding to the exact words in that comment. But on the day of that loss the Phillies were 46-45, 5 games out in their division, and had been to the playoffs once since 1993.

They did, though, end up winning the division that year. Heh. Mets.

• everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

*correction: had last made the playoffs in 1993, and that was the only time since 1983.

6. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM

The Phillies fans you generally post on this site are not bandwagon fans. I can’t speak to those who use twitter to express their feelings, though.

• bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Agree. I’m not the most knowledgeable guy about baseball, since I end up explaining to people why Cole Hamels or Roy Halladay aren’t pitching on a given night, or why they ‘don’t have a guy playing 3rd base at all’ when Howard is at bat, or even why they’d bring in a pitcher for 1 batter only, I guess I know more than probably 80% of the fans.

Granted, as it stands, I’m mostly a Phillies fan, more so than a baseball fan. On the other hand, I am an Eagles fan, but I’m also an NFL fan. I’ll watch ANY NFL game on, but if the Phils aren’t on, I generally won’t watch.

7. ningenito78 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Pretty simple. Phillies fans only care when the team is good so a majority of the commenters are bandwagoneers. Like they always say: the guy who has the least invested in something always seems to yell the loudest.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Meanwhile, the fact that just about no other teams in baseball sell out any of their games probably shows that those fans as well only care about going to the games when they are winning. Or even worse, a fanbase like the braves fans who don’t even show up when the team is in first place or at least contending. Again, I always love when idiot fans of opposing teams have somehow been able to grasp the mindset of hundreds of thousands of people they’ve never met or lived around. Amazing how that works. Are Cubs fans frontrunners because nobody goes to the games anymore? How about Dodgers fans? Mets fans? Nats fans? I could go on and on. Or do the majority of fans in all sports cities seem to have a deeper interest when their teams are good? Pittsburg is starting to do well at the stadium, so is Cleveland. Are they all just frontrunners and bandwagon jumpers?? Ohh, thats right. Just Philly fans. Ugghh…

8. gallaghedj311 - Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

It’s definitely still an Eagles town. Ur delusional if u think otherwise. The amount of paraphernalia purchased is irrelavent. Try looking at eagles preseason ratings vs august phillies baseball. Eagles meaningless preseason games win out. I believe 610wip reported last year that the october ratings were won by eagles as well, compared to playoff baseball.

• Paul - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Ratings are meaningless when you only play one game a week versus 5.

• kellyb9 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Also football is more regularly on national television… its not really an apples to apples comparison.

• bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM

NFL games cover an entire region, or even the entire nation. Baseball games cover 2 metropolitan areas at a given time, and not much more. Would you eat more food in a single sitting if you could have regular portions 7 days a week or if you were only allowed 1 meal a week?

9. illcomm - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM

all u phily haters out there….stop being jeoulous of a good team…go out support your own team…that give them the funds to get this talent…last I checked, no other team has sold out all season long

• bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Boston has. That may be the only other one though.

• ThatGuy - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM

According to ESPN, Boston and Philly are both over 100% in their home attendence. San Fran and Minnesota are at 99.7% and 99.5% respectively. Cubs are only other team above 90% at 90% exactly.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM

You are the reasons that people say bad things about Phillies fans. Your posts above were down right hostile. Yes, Boston has sold out some ridiculous amount of games in a row.

• leokitty - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Who are you even talking to??

10. illcomm - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Craig….got a question for you….do you value the phillies for having the best pitching staff..with Roy back soon….or do you value the sox.for.the best hitting lineup in the league….what do u value more in rankings….hitting or pitching?…please.don’t come back with a.combination answer…try something.new.for.a.change and.pick one.or the other…that should.be your number one in rankings between the phils and sox…

• b7p19 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM

wow, thats.a.lot.of.periods……..I didn’t know when to start and stop reading. Very confusing.

11. Jonny 5 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Craig, I don’t care what anyone thinks about my Phillies. I mean there was a time not too long ago, going back to the middle ages where you really had to ignore what everyone was saying about them. I still haven’t lost my edge there. It’s sports, and the trash talking is like a spice on life, I enjoy it. As a matter of fact, myself and some guys around here all talk trash on each other and the baseball team each person follows (except for the Mets fan since everyone feels bad about that). Maybe the whole thing you speak of boils down to the argumentative state I find in many Philly natives. If you like a certain pizza, most will argue about how you’re wrong. Cheese steak? don’t even go there…. Sports? fuggetaboutit…. I think what you’re tapping into here is a natural resource, one that provides arguments in and for any situation.

I must say, for an open minded guy you seem to like stereotyping quite a bit. I guess all Lawyers do that….

• bleedgreen - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

On top of that, shouldn’t he be embracing it? He gets paid off of page views and ad views, no? Creating ‘light hearted’ controversy and fostering a ‘bickering’ community is what generates page views. Now, I don’t mean negative spirited personal attack arguing, but if theres no conversation, then theres no reason to come back.

12. deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I wonder if the Braves were able to leapfrog the 3 teams in front of them, if their apathetic fans would actually show up to the games? Well, maybe if they make the playoffs…maybe…

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

It isn’t that Braves fans are necessarily apathetic…it is that many of the current generation of Braves fans aren’t even from Atlanta. It isn’t even that they were bandwagoning off the ridiculous success they had either. I think it more has to do with the fact that the Braves were on TV constantly for a ridiculous amount of time on TBS I believe. The team was able to garner national exposure. As a result, you have Braves fans that have never been to Atlanta, like Craig.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I told you already- don’t buy that nonsense.that Craig’s a Braves fan from the midwest. He bleeds pinstripes. The reason he does HBT from his basement is because he doesn’t want the cameras catching all the Jeter, Pettite, and A-Rod fatheads he has hanging on his bedroom walls. It’s just more fashionable and hipster to hate the Yankees, so it helps build this false personna he’s trying to sell us.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I’ll take apathetic for a fanbase over simply pathetic (PHILLY!) any day!

13. everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM

“Seriously, Phillies fans: why on Earth do you worry so much about what people think of your team?”

To an extent that statement kinda goes both ways. There are always, always complaints about Power Rankings. There are very rarely complaints from the people making the Power Rankings about those complaints, which this article kind of is. That’s not to absolve whoever’s calling you out on Twitter for it, but to an extent, you have to be ready for criticism, especially when it involves somewhat slighting the team with the best record in baseball* that’s also got probably the most attention of any team this year and that, admittedly, has a very vocal fanbase.

* for the record, while I do think that not picking a 1 and 2 is a tiny bit of a copout, I don’t care at all about actually being tied for the #1 spot. Sox are damn good and so are we and that’d be a helluva fun series. Besides, it’s August 1. If where we were in the Power Rankings on August 1 last year meant anything, we’d have been in trouble. But whatever.

14. spudchukar - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Insecurity.

15. foreverchipper10 - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Craig, you do them because hover board doesn’t go over water unless you have POWER.

16. rjmarrella - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Am From Philly and the Phillies fans need to chill. When you lose two games to the defending champs while scoring only two unearned runs and still get the top ranking; then the guy ranking you is being overly kind to your team… We got Hunter Pence, not Willie Mays

17. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM

The biggest problem with Craig is that he puts too much stock into what the no-life having idiots who waste their lives on Twitter write. The people on here are for the most part intelligent Phillies fans who know when Craig is baiting and when he is being serious. At least I have learned that. That’s why you will rarely see the name “Chris Fiorentino” in one of his power rankings posts…unless it’s my rash saying something pithy.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

That crazy rash of yours has a life of it’s own.

18. professor59 - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Craig’s not so much a Philly hater as he is a Philly baiter. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of Philly fans that post here, and he wants to kick start the comments. I don’t see the point of taking it personally.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I don’t think anybody on here takes it personally. It seems people on twitter take it personally and say hostile things to him. Furthermore, anything somebody says to him on this site is generally just banter….as he likes to give as well.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Craig has actually laid off the Philly baiting this season for the most part. Maybe he is ready to start picking it up now that we are heading down the home stretch.

19. huff94 - Aug 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Beat the Giants in a series and then come talk to me, championships are won on the field and not on paper. Philly fans live in their own world where they don’t give credit to any other teams. At least Ryan Howard swung the bat in the 9th against Wilson this time instead of taking a called 3rd, that is a sign they are improving.

• everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Stealth Philly fan trying to make other team’s fans look bad IMO.

20. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Philly sucks and their team sucks. I’m sorry, Philly sucks and ALL of their teams suck. No wait, Philly sucks, it’s people suck, their teams suck, their beer sucks, their skyline sucks, their cheese steaks suck, and they each will all suck big fat donkey balls for ever more. Suck. It. Philly.

Too many smelly Phillies fans on here reading a Braves fan’s blog. Check yourselves at the door, chumps.

Signed,
    Vicious

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM

LOL!!!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself Cerrano

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hey, Chris,

8:10 start time. I’m a 7:05 guy or 1:35 guy. How about you? I especially hate the west coast trips when we have to watch games after 10:00.

Can’t wait again for another great game when we have Cole Carlton on the mound.

21. crankyfrankie - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Having been a Phillies fan for over 40 years, yeah Connie Mack Stadium, I laugh about people getting worked up about power rankings. Sorry having lived through Wayne Twitchell and Dick Selma this is not worth getting upset about. Clever kidding that this brings out from folks is why I read this blog.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3937)