Aug 1, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
The Los Angeles Times reports that a key witness in the beating case of Bryan Stow died suddenly Sunday, apparently of an allergic food reaction.
Law enforcement sources told the Times that Matthew Lee died after eating a salad that apparently contained nuts. The coroner’s office has not released a cause of death, however.
Lee is said to have been an important witness in the case against Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who are accused of beating Stow into a coma after a March 31 Dodgers-Giants game at Dodger Stadium. Lee was one of the friends that attended the contest with Stow.
Sanchez and Norwood made their first court appearances Monday, but their arraignments were postponed until Aug. 10. Police sources informed the Times that evidence against the duo includes cellphone records and photos. Also, Sanchez’s sister, who also happens to be Norwood’s long-term girlfriend, has implicated the two.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)