Witness in Bryan Stow case dies suddenly

Aug 1, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California Reuters

The Los Angeles Times reports that a key witness in the beating case of Bryan Stow died suddenly Sunday, apparently of an allergic food reaction.

Law enforcement sources told the Times that Matthew Lee died after eating a salad that apparently contained nuts.  The coroner’s office has not released a cause of death, however.

Lee is said to have been an important witness in the case against Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who are accused of beating Stow into a coma after a March 31 Dodgers-Giants game at Dodger Stadium.  Lee was one of the friends that attended the contest with Stow.

Sanchez and Norwood made their first court appearances Monday, but their arraignments were postponed until Aug. 10.  Police sources informed the Times that evidence against the duo includes cellphone records and photos.  Also, Sanchez’s sister, who also happens to be Norwood’s long-term girlfriend, has implicated the two.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

That is bizarre. Wasn’t this guy a paramedic? Where was his epi-pen? Being allergic to tree nuts can be a very serious condition…just the oils alone can be enough to set off anaphalaxis. I’m shocked that somebody with a known tree nut allergy wouldn’t carry an epi-pen with him at all times. Anyway, I hope this does not have a detrimental impact upon the prosecution.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Good Doctor,

It’s very bizarre how the human body reacts to certain foods. Whereas eating something that contains nuts to you and me are harmless and another person can die from it. I know it can be explained through biology and chemistry makeup but it’s always crazy when you hear someone die from this. Tragic.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I was always told that nut anaphylaxis was pretty fast. Even with an epi pen in hand you might not be able to deal with it in time. imagine if it was in a jacket or a pocket while you can’t breathe? The word ‘panic’ comes to mind. Might be hard for a person to get to it in time in a panicked state.

Pretty sad year for this circle of friends.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Hey, cur68

How are you? You don’t seems to post much anymore. Believe or not, I always enjoyed your Blue Jays posts. Especially with Joey “Bats” Bautista. Is everything good?

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I’m in thesis hell my friend. With revisions, statistical tests, committee meetings on top of work, house sale, divorce, golf weather and not enough sleep, my HBT time is down quite a bit. My supervisor ORDERED me to go golf today and not spend 10 hours crunching numbers and writing results, so I’ve been off ripping turf out of a nice public course from 10 AM to 2:30 PM followed by some beers and fine cub sandwich, hence my absence today.

I’ll be back on the job by Wednesday, though. The Beaver Men have a series coming up against the Hated Rays for Tuesday, so GAME ON @ HBT for me. Joey Bats better hit a homer, too. Been a while since I described one of his shots.

Noticed you failing to rise to the “phillie phans are whiners” propaganda being put forth. Nice. Like to see an even keel in my Rogue Chemists from time to time. How’s the mortar and pestling going?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM

cur68,

Sorry to hear about the thesis issues and obvious domestic duties that you have to attend to. That always takes precedent over mundane things as commenting on HBT. However, I suspect you will thrive as a result of intelect.

Cold beer and golf are always a good excuse to get away for awhile. I do it myself sometimes when I am not between working at home and the office. Sometimes, I just skip the golf course, crack open up a beer, and multitask beteeen this site and what I need to do for my company online.

As far as the “Phillies Fans are Whiners” thing, I will say this. Anymore, I try to stay above the fray. I would rather just talk baseball anymore as opposed to getting into popular discussions that I did with venom in the past. Nothing can be accomplished by doing so.

• Old Gator - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM

cur:

I am living proof that there is life after thesis. Hang in there. If you want to communicate more personally about coping strategies feel free to send your email to Craig, who will forward it to me. It’d be great to be in touch with you directly.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

It is going pretty well. Status quo. I work a lot, but the actual amount of work I do during my 12 hour days is only about 4 hours….6 hours on a busy day like today. I’m debating on whether of not to try to expand my customer base. I do about 700 Rx a week which comes close enough to paying my salary. See, if I get too many customers then I have to get a tech, which I don’t want to do. Also, I would probably have to get another pharmacist. I’m only able to work 76 hours per week because I can loaf most of the day. If I actually had to work a solid 12 hour shift, I couldn’t do it day after day. Furthermore, I just have to come close to breaking even. I bring customers into the store who would get their groceries elsewhere if it weren’t for me. I got into a bit of an argument with a customer today. He wanted me to compound this eye preparation for him. I tried to explain that eye preparations are sterile and I don’t have that kind of equipment. He was giving me hell for like 5 minutes before I finally asked him if he enjoyed his vision. Then went on to explain that I couldn’t guarantee he wouldn’t go blind if I made the preparation…gave him a referral and he was on his way. I, also, had some guy try to pass of a fake Rx for an obscene amount of Oxycodone today. Personal life is fine. My lady friend works 7 on, 7 off through the night and it is her on week so I have the apartment to myself….which means no distractions during Phillies baseball.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Old Gator,

While you are on, as I am watching the Phillies game, I just wanted to let you know that I read your comment entries every day, even though I don’t usually respond. You are a great writer and guru of the gift of gab and elegancy of the English language. I really just wanted to tell you this because I enjoy reading your comments. Very fluid and genuine.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Good Doctor,

You are another person that I respect because not only you have a fine baseball intellect like myself (I would hope that I know baseball), but you have a greater intellect with other life issues (such as this Stow story). I also enjoy reading and conversing with you as well as other people on this site.

2. The Baseball Gods - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Interesting……very suspicious. Is there any reports that this could be “foul play?”

3. diehardcubbiefan4life - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Oh dear. I hate to make accuastions but was this an accident?

• toosano - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Do you really think a bunch of ignorant bangers knew he was allergic to nuts and assasinated him? lol.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM

er, yes, that’s in fact not unlikely, isn’t it? Lots of “ignorant bangers” have allergies. People wear ID bracelets that says so. It’s relatively common. “Bangers” are humans, just like the rest of us. They come into contact with information all the time, just like the rest of us. Dropping some allergen into the food of a person known to be violently anaphylactic to it is a relatively common way to kill intentionally in made for TV murder plots. Even ‘bangers’ watch TV. Google “anaphylaxis” and “murder” and you’ll get ~400,000 hits mostly about TV plots but it’s not unknown for real life murder to be carried out like that either.

• ThatGuy - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Sure hope you didn’t just google that anaphylaxis and murder cur. Don’t want you to disappear to one of those mounty interegation camps in the Yukon…

• toosano - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM

You’re giving the waaay too much credit. I bet you think that the moon landing wasn’t real, too.

4. hittfamily - Aug 1, 2011 at 7:41 PM

A sad story gets even sadder.

5. halladaysbiceps - Aug 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for the edit, Matt P. I appreciate it, my friend.

6. hlang - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM

From Google:

Your search – “anaphylaxis” “murder” – did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    Try different keywords.
    Try more general keywords.
    Try fewer keywords.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Just re-did the google search. Actually copied your terms (“anaphylaxis” and “murder) quotes and all. Still got ~ 400,000 hits. I have no idea what the trouble is on your end, but the google is working just fine from this basement.

7. hcf95688 - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Another reason not to eat salad.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM

somebody planted those nuts

9. tinemachine - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:19 AM

r.i.p matt. you will be missed by everyone who kneww and loved you!

– he passed away from almonds in a salad. he was unaware of them. he refused to go to the hospital due to no health insurance. he was finally convinced to go to the hospital but died of cardiac arrest.-

he was a wonderful and sweet person. i am so greatful i had the opprotunity to know him. i was with him saturday night. hard to believe the person you went to tahoe with dies the next night. rest in peace matt!

• wintwins - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM

A paramedic dies because he can’t afford health insurance…

Words can’t even describe how sad this makes me.

RIP

• tinemachine - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:29 AM

no. matt was not a paramedic. he was just very good friends with bryan stow, who is a paramedic.

• JBerardi - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM

“he refused to go to the hospital due to no health insurance.”

Well, we can all sleep a little easier knowing that America has avoided the evils socialism for another day…

• dgrowe213 - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Another reason to vote Barack Obama 2012, baby.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4785)