Aug 1, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Times reports that a key witness in the beating case of Bryan Stow died suddenly Sunday, apparently of an allergic food reaction.
Law enforcement sources told the Times that Matthew Lee died after eating a salad that apparently contained nuts. The coroner’s office has not released a cause of death, however.
Lee is said to have been an important witness in the case against Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who are accused of beating Stow into a coma after a March 31 Dodgers-Giants game at Dodger Stadium. Lee was one of the friends that attended the contest with Stow.
Sanchez and Norwood made their first court appearances Monday, but their arraignments were postponed until Aug. 10. Police sources informed the Times that evidence against the duo includes cellphone records and photos. Also, Sanchez’s sister, who also happens to be Norwood’s long-term girlfriend, has implicated the two.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 8
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 74
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)