Aug 2, 2011, 9:08 PM EST
The Red Sox confirmed today that Clay Buchholz does indeed have a stress fracture in his lower back, but Terry Francona told Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com that his return this season “hasn’t been ruled out.”
Buchholz will take part in a five-step recovery program, beginning with core-strengthening exercises, before being reevaluated in a month. If all goes well, he could then be cleared to begin a throwing program.
The odds of him returning this season will be long because the minor league schedule ends in early September, which means that he likely wouldn’t be able to make any rehab starts against advanced competition. Still, Buchholz is holding out hope that he will be able to return should the Red Sox reach the postseason.
“If there was a timetable then the postseason is where I’d want to come back. That makes the most sense to me,” said Buchholz. “I’ve been frustrated for a while. I’ve wanted to go out there and pitch. That’s why I’m here and that’s why they gave me the extension that they gave me earlier this year. It’s definitely something I didn’t want to happen, but I also believe that everything happens for a reason.”
According to Tony Lee of NESN.com, Buchholz is prepared to pitch out of the bullpen if he is able to return this season, but he is also willing to go to the instructional league in Florida to build up his pitch count if the Red Sox want need to make a start. Of course, looking at the bigger picture, the good news is that he is expected to be 100 percent for spring training next season.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 43
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 108
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)