Cliff Pennington has Bell’s Palsy

Aug 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

Pennington_Cliff

That sounds more serious than it is — Bell’s Palsy is a temporary condition in most cases — but it’s not a malady you hear of all that often with ballplayers. But it got Cliff Pennington during last night’s game, causing him to suffer partial facial paralysis and preventing him from closing his left eye.

Pennington is on medication for it now and is day-to-day. Sometimes steroids are prescribed for it, which would then make Pennington a no-good cheater with little regard for baseball’s rich history (or so I’m told) to I hope it doesn’t come to that.

1. bleedgreen - Aug 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Reading the headline at a glance, I thought it said “Cliff Pennington is ballsy”

2. Detroit Michael - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Pennington might have to get eye drops or other lubrication put in the eye that won’t close, which might interfere with his vision. One guesses that they take this into account when deciding what to prescribe for him, though.

3. dodger88 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I had Bell’s Palsy about 12 years ago. Severity can vary but more most, me included, it is largely cosmetic (at least for a non-baseball player) and it goes away on its own in 1-3 months (on average). I got lucky at it was gone in about 5 weeks. For many it can reoccur (hasn’t for me). I’ll admit is was disconcerting to hear the term “Palsy”.

• Delicious Cake - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Dodger88: When you had Bell’s Palsy, were you also unable to close one of your eyes? If so, how were you able to sleep? I can’t imagine trying to sleep with one of my eyes open. Just curious.

• randomdigits - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

An eye patch?

• dodger88 - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM

While I was unable to completely close my eye, I was able to close it enough that I managed to sleep. It was a little dry but not too bad. My biggest problem was that the left side of my mouth was paralysed and I had to drink with a straw and chew slowly to make sure I did not bite my lip or cheek by mistake. And if I smiled it looked like a snarl.

4. cur68 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Meh. Could be worse. It’ll interfere with his vision a bit when playing so he probably should cool it for a while. Good thing he’s an Oakland Athletic, now isn’t it? While he’s off waiting for his nervous system to get it’s act together the A’s bid for the post season will be unharmed.

5. Walk - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

One of my coworkers had it. He had to wear an eyepatch for it. I did not inquire too much into it, i did not want to upset him, but he told me that helped him.

6. APBA Guy - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hopefully Pennington won’t be affected by it too much, as this seems to be the first instance of it impacting his playing time since he made the big club in 2008.

7. spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I believe Fernando Vina also suffered from a similar malady after a forearm from a certain Cleveland Indian outfielder.

8. armyguy68 - Aug 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Craig Calcaterra you’re a tard. Do yourself some justice and research what kind of steroid Cliff might have to use for his Palsy. Wait… I’ll do it for you. It’s caslled Prednisone, and it’s not the cheater kind of steroid that your ignorant mind is thinking of. I had Bells Palsy and 4 relapses over 2 years. Prednisone causes weight gain and not the good kind. It can also cause steroid induced diabetes too, which I have now. Have a little class before you go and slander someones good name and get educated about your topic first. Keep up the good work, DBAH.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3905)