Aug 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
That sounds more serious than it is — Bell’s Palsy is a temporary condition in most cases — but it’s not a malady you hear of all that often with ballplayers. But it got Cliff Pennington during last night’s game, causing him to suffer partial facial paralysis and preventing him from closing his left eye.
Pennington is on medication for it now and is day-to-day. Sometimes steroids are prescribed for it, which would then make Pennington a no-good cheater with little regard for baseball’s rich history (or so I’m told) to I hope it doesn’t come to that.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)