Aug 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
That sounds more serious than it is — Bell’s Palsy is a temporary condition in most cases — but it’s not a malady you hear of all that often with ballplayers. But it got Cliff Pennington during last night’s game, causing him to suffer partial facial paralysis and preventing him from closing his left eye.
Pennington is on medication for it now and is day-to-day. Sometimes steroids are prescribed for it, which would then make Pennington a no-good cheater with little regard for baseball’s rich history (or so I’m told) to I hope it doesn’t come to that.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)