Dustin Pedroia: my new favorite player

Aug 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Ric Flair

Tweet from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com:

Dustin Pedroia has a giant autographed wrestling robe from Nature Boy Ric Flair and a belt hanging above his locker. Its gonna be a good day.

Pedroia can pretty much do anything he wants for the rest of his career and he’d officially be OK by me. Really, he could jump into the stands and attack a kid for not cheering for him. ¬†As long as he has the tacit endorsement of Ric Flair, he’s aces in my book.

Woo!

1. pbsenerchia - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Why do you hate the Phillies, Craig, you hack.

• pbsenerchia - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

If it wasn’t for your lazy reporting, you would know that people call Shane Victorino the Flyin Hawaiian because he used to be a professional wrestler and KICKED RIC FLAIR’S AZZ. How come Victorino isn’t your favorite player, huh?

• kopy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I just assumed every athlete from Hawaii is nicknamed the Flyin’ Hawaiian. Victorino is hardly the first.

• pbsenerchia - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Oh, my bad.

I read that here: http://whizwit.weebly.com/1/post/2011/08/open-letter-to-everyone-who-hates-philadelphia.html

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

This has to be sarcasm.

Right?

• pbsenerchia - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Yes. Poorly done, perhaps, but what the hell.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I thought both posts were 1) clearly sarcasm, and 2) funny

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I couldn’t tell, though that could have been my sarcasm detector being off. Prior knowledge of the open letter probably would have helped tremendously.

2. flavadave10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Dustin’s a limousine ridin’, jet flyin’, kiss stealin’, wheelin’ dealin’ son of a gun. WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. thejjharris - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

To be the elf, you gotta beat The Elf.

4. Richard In Big D - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM

How insensitive of you, Craig! Your headline here is gonna hurt Frency’s feelings!

5. Jack Marshall - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM

As with Derek Jeter, you pretty much can’t go wrong by making Pedroia your favorite player, a unique presence, a throwback, a hustling, all-around star who also manages brings a smile to the lips with his enthusiasm and style.

I won’t even hold it against him that he follows professional wrestling.

• fruitlandgenericcitizen - Aug 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM

One’s got a brother who’s a pedophile and the other doesn’t even pay for the parking of his groupies the next morning.

Yup, those sure are two role models.

• Kevin S. - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM

How does Brett Pedroia’s crime in any way impinge upon Dustin Pedroia’s worthiness as a role model?

6. bobwsc - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

once September hits, he should be warming up in that robe.

• bobwsc - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM

and you can pick up your own Ric Flair autographed robe on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Flair-Autographed-Everlast-Nature-inscription/dp/B002YWHF4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312316790&sr=8-1

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM

This wrestling obsession is as foreign to me as rooting for a team from Philadelphia. Craig, stop alienating fellow Braves fans.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I gotta believe that there are more Braves fans that are also fans of pro “wrestling” than Braves fans that do not like it.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I gotta refuse to believe that.

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Don’t you all dig fake sports like NASCAR and pro wrestling down there?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Kevbo, I’m in Chicago, but it’s as hot as Hotlanta for sure.

8. crpls - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM

My first thought when seeing the headline, in light of the open letter, was to say: “What do you have against Chase Utley, Craig?!” but I was beaten to the (similar) punch.

• pbsenerchia - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It’s just as well, as the HBT community seems generally not amused. Guessing they didn’t see the open letter thing, though.

9. foreverchipper10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM

My high school Spanish teacher looked like Ric Flair’s twin and if he ever strutted into class and let out a big “WOOOOO!” I may be able to speak fluent Spanish because my mind would have been blown.

10. Ari Collins - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Laser Show!

11. solidzac - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM

It might be a generational thing, but I hated Ric Flair as a kid. I went to see Royal Rumble in 1992 in person (the only wrestling event I’ve ever seen in person) and was absolutely crushed when Ric Flair beat the Hulkster.

12. hcf95688 - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooooooooo!

13. bigleagues - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Welcome, Craig, to The Laser Show!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

14. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

pro wrestling was cool until about age 13, then you usually discover women at that point but i guess for the kids who didnt…well you still got pro wrestling.

• marinersnate - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:46 AM

“pro wrestling was cool until about age 13″

It was? I must have missed that.

• bigleagues - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Actually it was cool until, like, age 17, dude. That’s when I became self aware that wearing leotard’s, makeup and sticking your head between another man’s legs wasn’t really my thing.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3285)