Aug 2, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
Quite a scare for the Marlins this evening.
Hanley Ramirez was diagnosed with a left shoulder sprain after leaving tonight’s game against the Mets in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The injury occurred when Ramirez hustled (see what I did there?) toward left field and dove to attempt to catch a ball off the bat of Angel Pagan. He appeared to be in some serious pain as he walked off the field, but the early word from Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is that he is listed as day-to-day.
Ramirez has an underwhelming .243/.333/.379 batting line and .712 OPS on the year, but he is batting .280 with six homers, 10 doubles and 28 RBI over 44 games since returning from the disabled list in mid-June. He had just 10 extra-base hits over his first 48 games this season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)