Aug 2, 2011, 9:35 PM EST
Quite a scare for the Marlins this evening.
Hanley Ramirez was diagnosed with a left shoulder sprain after leaving tonight’s game against the Mets in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The injury occurred when Ramirez hustled (see what I did there?) toward left field and dove to attempt to catch a ball off the bat of Angel Pagan. He appeared to be in some serious pain as he walked off the field, but the early word from Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is that he is listed as day-to-day.
Ramirez has an underwhelming .243/.333/.379 batting line and .712 OPS on the year, but he is batting .280 with six homers, 10 doubles and 28 RBI over 44 games since returning from the disabled list in mid-June. He had just 10 extra-base hits over his first 48 games this season.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)