Aug 2, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
Quite a scare for the Marlins this evening.
Hanley Ramirez was diagnosed with a left shoulder sprain after leaving tonight’s game against the Mets in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The injury occurred when Ramirez hustled (see what I did there?) toward left field and dove to attempt to catch a ball off the bat of Angel Pagan. He appeared to be in some serious pain as he walked off the field, but the early word from Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is that he is listed as day-to-day.
Ramirez has an underwhelming .243/.333/.379 batting line and .712 OPS on the year, but he is batting .280 with six homers, 10 doubles and 28 RBI over 44 games since returning from the disabled list in mid-June. He had just 10 extra-base hits over his first 48 games this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)