Aug 2, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
Quite a scare for the Marlins this evening.
Hanley Ramirez was diagnosed with a left shoulder sprain after leaving tonight’s game against the Mets in the bottom of the sixth inning.
The injury occurred when Ramirez hustled (see what I did there?) toward left field and dove to attempt to catch a ball off the bat of Angel Pagan. He appeared to be in some serious pain as he walked off the field, but the early word from Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is that he is listed as day-to-day.
Ramirez has an underwhelming .243/.333/.379 batting line and .712 OPS on the year, but he is batting .280 with six homers, 10 doubles and 28 RBI over 44 games since returning from the disabled list in mid-June. He had just 10 extra-base hits over his first 48 games this season.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)