Jason Giambi would be fine with the Rockies trading him, but wants to come back in 2012

Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EST

Jason Giambi Getty Images

Jason Giambi is currently on the disabled list with a strained quadriceps, but once healthy he’s a candidate to be traded to a contender in search of a left-handed bench bat before August 31.

And he’d be fine with the Rockies trading him, but Giambi wants to return to Colorado in 2012 either way.

“As long as it doesn’t hurt my chances of coming back here, I’m up for it,” Giambi told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “That’s the thing I wanted most for them to hear. If there was a situation where it was, ‘Oh, I think this would be a good opportunity for you,’ that would be fine as long as they know I want to come back.”

Giambi obviously isn’t going to fetch a ton in trade, but if the Rockies can cash him in for a mid-level prospect and then re-sign him to another reasonably priced one-year contract during the offseason anyway it would certainly make sense to do so. Before the injury Giambi hit .260 with a .625 slugging percentage, smacking 10 homers in just 96 at-bats playing behind Todd Helton. He’d beef up any bench and might even be useful to some teams as a part-time designated hitter.

1. Jonny 5 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Jason, you’ve made over 130 million dollars in your career. If you came back, you’d be lucky to get paid 1 million. Why would you trade another year of your life for that when you don’t have to? Go home.

With that said, everyone has their choice, and the man must LOVE playing baseball. I have to tip my hat to that.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

This is a guy that I would love the Phillies to pursue if he can clear waivers. My first choice would be Jim Thome if he was available because of the love that the city of Philadelphia has for him and his father/son relationship with Charlie Manuel. But, Giambi can also provide good power off the bench.

• flavadave10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Not to mention the mystical powers of his slump-busting thong.

• FC - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Bring back Th-underd-ome! Regretfully he’s at 597 HR and the Twins won’t let that piece of marketing go.

3. paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

He sure as hell doesn’t want to play for Cleveland next year.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

paperlions,

Let me ask you this. A question for you. If you were the Phillies looking for extra power from the bench, who would you go with? Giambi or Thome and why one over the other?

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Probably Thome. Mostly because Giami is on the DL with a quad injury and seems to always be hurt though he’s essentially just a PH now. They are similar hitters now, but Thome seems like he’s more consistently healthy (not that the bar is set high)….for the small number of ABs they’ll be getting from here on out…they are essentially the same guy to me (if healthy).

• trevorb06 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I’d say Giambi just because when Thome served as a bench bat for the Dodger it ended not to well. Giami is already used to being a bench bat. There is an art to that, ask Matt Stairs.

• losburrosinblue - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I think Giambi has more of the Matt Stairs Effect. You know, he gets in the batter’s box and the picture says, “Dear God, don’t let him make contact.”

• losburrosinblue - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Pitcher* EDIT FUNCTION!!!

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess Giambi’s injury is not too serious. Obviously, non-field related, a Thome returning to the Phillies would be huge from a Philly perspective because we loved the guy and still do.

But, like a few of you said, Giambi is use to coming off the bench as a pinch hitter and did a decent job, whereas Thome is a DH and chasing 600 homers. He needs the at bats that the American League can only provide with the DH.

4. Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Obviously Philly could get a waiver claim in first, but if he cleared I’d love to see him in the long half of DH platoon in New York. Posada’s done.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2786)
  2. W. Myers (2543)
  3. D. Ross (2210)
  4. C. McGehee (2131)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1983)
  1. J. Shields (1886)