Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Jason Giambi is currently on the disabled list with a strained quadriceps, but once healthy he’s a candidate to be traded to a contender in search of a left-handed bench bat before August 31.
And he’d be fine with the Rockies trading him, but Giambi wants to return to Colorado in 2012 either way.
“As long as it doesn’t hurt my chances of coming back here, I’m up for it,” Giambi told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “That’s the thing I wanted most for them to hear. If there was a situation where it was, ‘Oh, I think this would be a good opportunity for you,’ that would be fine as long as they know I want to come back.”
Giambi obviously isn’t going to fetch a ton in trade, but if the Rockies can cash him in for a mid-level prospect and then re-sign him to another reasonably priced one-year contract during the offseason anyway it would certainly make sense to do so. Before the injury Giambi hit .260 with a .625 slugging percentage, smacking 10 homers in just 96 at-bats playing behind Todd Helton. He’d beef up any bench and might even be useful to some teams as a part-time designated hitter.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)