Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Jason Giambi is currently on the disabled list with a strained quadriceps, but once healthy he’s a candidate to be traded to a contender in search of a left-handed bench bat before August 31.
And he’d be fine with the Rockies trading him, but Giambi wants to return to Colorado in 2012 either way.
“As long as it doesn’t hurt my chances of coming back here, I’m up for it,” Giambi told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “That’s the thing I wanted most for them to hear. If there was a situation where it was, ‘Oh, I think this would be a good opportunity for you,’ that would be fine as long as they know I want to come back.”
Giambi obviously isn’t going to fetch a ton in trade, but if the Rockies can cash him in for a mid-level prospect and then re-sign him to another reasonably priced one-year contract during the offseason anyway it would certainly make sense to do so. Before the injury Giambi hit .260 with a .625 slugging percentage, smacking 10 homers in just 96 at-bats playing behind Todd Helton. He’d beef up any bench and might even be useful to some teams as a part-time designated hitter.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)