Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Jason Giambi is currently on the disabled list with a strained quadriceps, but once healthy he’s a candidate to be traded to a contender in search of a left-handed bench bat before August 31.
And he’d be fine with the Rockies trading him, but Giambi wants to return to Colorado in 2012 either way.
“As long as it doesn’t hurt my chances of coming back here, I’m up for it,” Giambi told Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “That’s the thing I wanted most for them to hear. If there was a situation where it was, ‘Oh, I think this would be a good opportunity for you,’ that would be fine as long as they know I want to come back.”
Giambi obviously isn’t going to fetch a ton in trade, but if the Rockies can cash him in for a mid-level prospect and then re-sign him to another reasonably priced one-year contract during the offseason anyway it would certainly make sense to do so. Before the injury Giambi hit .260 with a .625 slugging percentage, smacking 10 homers in just 96 at-bats playing behind Todd Helton. He’d beef up any bench and might even be useful to some teams as a part-time designated hitter.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)