Aug 2, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just suspended Jered Weaver for six games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing a pitch at Alex Avila during thebottom of the seventh inning of Sunday’s crazy-fest between the Angels and the Tigers. This is the same punishment that Carlos Carrasco got for throwing at Billy Butler on Friday.
I think it’s too light, by the way. They miss, what, one start? After doing something that could seriously injure someone or even kill them? Sheesh. Weaver can appeal if he wants to, but I hope he just takes his time out like a big boy.
Mike Scioscia was suspended for a game too, as automatically happens in these situations. I’m guessing he wasn’t too happy with Weaver himself, but that’s how it goes. He can’t appeal, so he has to sit out tonight’s game.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)