Aug 2, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
Major League Baseball just suspended Jered Weaver for six games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing a pitch at Alex Avila during thebottom of the seventh inning of Sunday’s crazy-fest between the Angels and the Tigers. This is the same punishment that Carlos Carrasco got for throwing at Billy Butler on Friday.
I think it’s too light, by the way. They miss, what, one start? After doing something that could seriously injure someone or even kill them? Sheesh. Weaver can appeal if he wants to, but I hope he just takes his time out like a big boy.
Mike Scioscia was suspended for a game too, as automatically happens in these situations. I’m guessing he wasn’t too happy with Weaver himself, but that’s how it goes. He can’t appeal, so he has to sit out tonight’s game.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)