Aug 2, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just suspended Jered Weaver for six games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing a pitch at Alex Avila during thebottom of the seventh inning of Sunday’s crazy-fest between the Angels and the Tigers. This is the same punishment that Carlos Carrasco got for throwing at Billy Butler on Friday.
I think it’s too light, by the way. They miss, what, one start? After doing something that could seriously injure someone or even kill them? Sheesh. Weaver can appeal if he wants to, but I hope he just takes his time out like a big boy.
Mike Scioscia was suspended for a game too, as automatically happens in these situations. I’m guessing he wasn’t too happy with Weaver himself, but that’s how it goes. He can’t appeal, so he has to sit out tonight’s game.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17