Aug 2, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just suspended Jered Weaver for six games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing a pitch at Alex Avila during thebottom of the seventh inning of Sunday’s crazy-fest between the Angels and the Tigers. This is the same punishment that Carlos Carrasco got for throwing at Billy Butler on Friday.
I think it’s too light, by the way. They miss, what, one start? After doing something that could seriously injure someone or even kill them? Sheesh. Weaver can appeal if he wants to, but I hope he just takes his time out like a big boy.
Mike Scioscia was suspended for a game too, as automatically happens in these situations. I’m guessing he wasn’t too happy with Weaver himself, but that’s how it goes. He can’t appeal, so he has to sit out tonight’s game.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)