Aug 2, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Via Maury comes news that Jim Crane’s candidacy to become the new owner of the Houston Astros is likely to be voted on at the next owners’ meetings, which take place on August 17th and 18th. It’s expected that he’ll have smooth sailing.
I was asked yesterday if it was bad for the Astros that he wasn’t approved before the trade deadline. Astros fans chime in here if you think differently, but I’m struggling to think of how it would have helped. To have made a difference, he would have had to be on the job, have already fired Ed Wade, hired his replacement and his replacement would have had to make a thorough assessment of the system and everything. I just don’t see how that could have happened in such a short time frame.
By being approved in late August he’ll have a little over a month to hang around and get to know the operations better. And he’ll be able to be ready to pounce at good front office talent as soon as the season ends.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)