Aug 2, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Via Maury comes news that Jim Crane’s candidacy to become the new owner of the Houston Astros is likely to be voted on at the next owners’ meetings, which take place on August 17th and 18th. It’s expected that he’ll have smooth sailing.
I was asked yesterday if it was bad for the Astros that he wasn’t approved before the trade deadline. Astros fans chime in here if you think differently, but I’m struggling to think of how it would have helped. To have made a difference, he would have had to be on the job, have already fired Ed Wade, hired his replacement and his replacement would have had to make a thorough assessment of the system and everything. I just don’t see how that could have happened in such a short time frame.
By being approved in late August he’ll have a little over a month to hang around and get to know the operations better. And he’ll be able to be ready to pounce at good front office talent as soon as the season ends.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)