Jim Crane to be approved as Astros new owner later this month

Aug 2, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Jim Crane AP

Via Maury comes news that Jim Crane’s candidacy to become the new owner of the Houston Astros is likely to be voted on at the next owners’ meetings, which take place on August 17th and 18th.  It’s expected that he’ll have smooth sailing.

I was asked yesterday if it was bad for the Astros that he wasn’t approved before the trade deadline.  Astros fans chime in here if you think differently, but I’m struggling to think of how it would have helped.  To have made a difference, he would have had to be on the job, have already fired Ed Wade, hired his replacement and his replacement would have had to make a thorough assessment of the system and everything.  I just don’t see how that could have happened in such a short time frame.

By being approved in late August he’ll have a little over a month to hang around and get to know the operations better.  And he’ll be able to be ready to pounce at good front office talent as soon as the season ends.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Jim Crane: “Ed, please come in and sit down. I want to talk to you.”
    Ed Wade: “Yes, Mr. Crane. What can I do for you.”
    JIm Crane: “I’ve just traded you to the Philadelphia Phillies for a pencil so I can erase everything you’ve done wrong here.”

• umrguy42 - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

That would bring up another article about how the Phillies overpaid to get him :p Hey, maybe that was part of the issue – the Phils coulda had Pence cheaper if they’d taken Ed Wade back, but they said no dice!

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM

That pencil better have a big eraser.

2. thekingdave - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

As one of the few Astro fans here, it’s been reported in Houston that Crane wants the payroll cut to 60M, so these moves have his fingerprints all over them. I can deal with the Pence trade, but the return we received for Bourn is pathetic. There are no excuses for Wade, he’s been on the job three years. We screamed back in 2008 that it was time to rebuild, but Wade traded for Tejada and blew money on Kaz Matsui, among others. Instead of having a rising farm system and hope on the horizon, we’re in a much worse predicament than we were when Wade took over. Where’s Shawn Chacon when you need him?

3. dodger88 - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Any word of realignment being tied to the vote, be it officially or unofficially?

4. kingbuccaneer - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Wow, that Wade guy really cleaned up by trading his best players… smdh

5. jeffa43 - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Wade will go home tonight, and slip into his Philly slippers, and cuddle next to the TV with his Philly blanket…

Meanwhile Astro fans are bending over the toilet getting sick…. Seriously Wade, you just gave away Bourn for nothing…

6. jeffa43 - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I really want to watch the game tonight…. but, I will not until Wade is gone.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3834)