Aug 2, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Santana’s next scheduled rehab outing has been canceled and he’ll instead be examined by doctors later this week.
Had he avoided any setbacks Santana appeared to be on track to potentially rejoin the Mets’ rotation by mid-August, but that seems highly unlikely now even if the examine reveals no major problems.
There’s zero reason for the Mets to rush him back, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they simply decided to make 2012 the new goal rather than messing around with a few September starts. Santana is owed $55 million over the next two seasons, so Thursday’s trip to the doctor is a big one.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)