Aug 2, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Santana’s next scheduled rehab outing has been canceled and he’ll instead be examined by doctors later this week.
Had he avoided any setbacks Santana appeared to be on track to potentially rejoin the Mets’ rotation by mid-August, but that seems highly unlikely now even if the examine reveals no major problems.
There’s zero reason for the Mets to rush him back, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they simply decided to make 2012 the new goal rather than messing around with a few September starts. Santana is owed $55 million over the next two seasons, so Thursday’s trip to the doctor is a big one.
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 10
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)