Aug 2, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Craig Counsell popped out as a pinch-hitter yesterday, extending the veteran infielder’s historic slump to 0-for-45.
Yes, zero hits in his last 45 at-bats. Seriously.
Counsell hasn’t had a hit since going 3-for-3 on June 10 and is now just one more hitless at-bat away from tying Bill Bergen’s all-time record of 46 straight at-bats without a hit from way back in 1909.
During his 0-for-45 streak Counsell has lowered his batting average from .236 to .145, although with one walk and one hit by pitch during that stretch he does have a nifty .042 on-base percentage.
Asked about Counsell’s incredible slump, Ron Roenicke offered up some fantastic manager-speak: “It is what it is. He’s still battling. He still feels good upstairs. Whether it’s driving in runs or saving runs, I don’t see the difference.”
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)