Aug 2, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Craig Counsell popped out as a pinch-hitter yesterday, extending the veteran infielder’s historic slump to 0-for-45.
Yes, zero hits in his last 45 at-bats. Seriously.
Counsell hasn’t had a hit since going 3-for-3 on June 10 and is now just one more hitless at-bat away from tying Bill Bergen’s all-time record of 46 straight at-bats without a hit from way back in 1909.
During his 0-for-45 streak Counsell has lowered his batting average from .236 to .145, although with one walk and one hit by pitch during that stretch he does have a nifty .042 on-base percentage.
Asked about Counsell’s incredible slump, Ron Roenicke offered up some fantastic manager-speak: “It is what it is. He’s still battling. He still feels good upstairs. Whether it’s driving in runs or saving runs, I don’t see the difference.”
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (190)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)