Now that’s a slump: Craig Counsell hitless in last 45 at-bats

Aug 2, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Craig Counsell popped out as a pinch-hitter yesterday, extending the veteran infielder’s historic slump to 0-for-45.

Yes, zero hits in his last 45 at-bats. Seriously.

Counsell hasn’t had a hit since going 3-for-3 on June 10 and is now just one more hitless at-bat away from tying Bill Bergen’s all-time record of 46 straight at-bats without a hit from way back in 1909.

During his 0-for-45 streak Counsell has lowered his batting average from .236 to .145, although with one walk and one hit by pitch during that stretch he does have a nifty .042 on-base percentage.

Asked about Counsell’s incredible slump, Ron Roenicke offered up some fantastic manager-speak: “It is what it is. He’s still battling. He still feels good upstairs. Whether it’s driving in runs or saving runs, I don’t see the difference.”

1. icanspeel - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

That’s pretty amazing considering how many infield singles, bad hop singles, bloopers get hit everyday. How many strike outs has he had during the 0-45?

• The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Only 5 Ks during that stretch. That’s some rough luck.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

As much as I hate rooting for a guy to get out, I do love me some history, so here’s hoping he takes the collar again in his next game.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

And then goes 5 for 5 or something the next day.

• kopy - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Derek Jeter already did that.

3. Ari Collins - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM

We believe in you Craig! CRAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

4. kopy - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

That is fantastic manager speak. How many runs does a pinch hitter save anyway?

• b7p19 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

If “hitting is contageous” is true, than it would stand to reason that “not hitting is contageous” as well right? So he could be infecting the other team with his ineptitude at the plate?

5. spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

So his slump is due to “trouble downstairs”? Don’t they make medicine for that now?

• cur68 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Depends on the trouble Spuddy. Somethings are ‘medication resistant’ you know.

Hey! Guess who I saw on my TV last night? None other than the august personages known as Corey Patterson and Octavio Dotel. Wearing red uniforms and playing for our man TLR. Like, wow. I realized, watching them in ‘action’ how much I don’t miss them AT ALL. Now, Spuddy, in your opinion, is that a fair trade for the Rasmus family and is Alex Anthopolous not an out and out genius or what? I mean, how did he know Tony had a big boat needing an anchor-of-suck somewhere?

Well, if anyone can get production & pitching from those 2 it should be Tony La Russa. If he can’t, then it can’t be done. I bet you’re looking forward to Patterson’s Adventures in Center Field act. Every fly ball looks like a wiffle the way he weaves around under them.

• spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

We sent Tallet back to you in the deal. That is without an “n”. If you think Patterson is an adventure you are in for a treat with Rasmus. Besides as soon as Allen Craig comes off the DL, in about a week, Patterson may be cut loose. I sure hoped we could get more for Rasmus, but Scrabble (Paperlion’s dubbing) has looked good, and we sent Trevor Miller off to Chi-town so we eliminated some dross too.

Cause I like the Jays, part of me wants to root for Rasmus to be successful, he isn’t a bad kid, just not a candidate for the Canadian Mensa Club. Trust me he will dazzle you with a couple of bombs, and race around the basepaths, going first to home in blink. But then rip your heart out with a lackluster lope back to the track, shying away from the fly ball like a rabid dog from a bowl of water, and then get called out with the sacks loaded, down by 2 with 2 outs in the ninth. You’ll see.

• spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Cur, now that Colby Rasmus displays his talents under the Maple Leaf, will his name be pronounced Ras-Moose?

• cur68 - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Rasmus is that bad in the field? Well after watching Patterson do much the same, I’m immune to the disappointment. My problem is growing up watching Devon White go face first, 4 feet off the ground into the wall and still make the catch. That’s a standard not many will live up to and Patterson didn’t even try.

“Ras-moose” eh? Might steal that. As for a candidate for the Canadian Mensa Club; the bar is low my friend. He might make it.

Beaver Men don’t need Tallet. He’ll be heading for the minors so fast the wind of his passage will make your eyes water. Because it stinks.

Gonna miss Scrabble and Jason Frasor too. Frasor has a hot wife. Gonna really miss her. Those 2 guys were quality arms with a good selection of pitches. TLR will make them look like Cy Young.

• spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

It isn’t so much that Rasmus is a poor fielder. But unless he undergoes some transformation, I am certain an Arctic Blast (which I am now privy to a new sexual connotation) will resonate here with these memorable wails, “He could have made that Play”.

• FC - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I wanted to go to Roberto Alomar Bobble-head day, to check out the new product on the field… alas, my friends bailed (something about moving to a new house or some weird excuse like that, these people don’t have their priorities straight!).

• FC - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I am certain an Arctic Blast (which I am now privy to a new sexual connotation)…

( gets Urban Dictionary… reads entry… raises eyebrow…) I know an old flame whom this happened to after she tried to go for round 2 immediately after round 1.

6. Panda Claus - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Wonder if Counsell is still using a bat doughnut? Sounds like he’s using an O-Nut instead.

7. Gardenhire's Cat - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Craig, he is scrappy though. That’s gotta count for something.

8. Old Gator - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I think it’s time for the old boy to hang it up. When you can’t do it anymore, stop taking up space and let a kid come up from AAA. He’s had a wonderful career, he will retire with the love of fans from both Milwaukee and, for those of us who remember his indispensability to the 1997 World Championship team (not to mention the time that he got hit in the mouth by a pitch and still tried, semi-consciously, to make it to first base while bleeding like he’d been hit by a mortar round), from Macondo as well.

And the political front lines in Tea Party infected Wisconsin could use his talents, humaneness and prestige these days more than the team can. He’d make a great candidate to disinfect some right wing slug of a state representative’s chair after the recall election.

9. hystoracle - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Sounds like he is primed to join the Rays with offensive production like that he will fit right in.

10. hebrahhammer - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Say what you will about Counsell, but you can tell just by looking at him that he’s a hard worker who has always hustled despite nursing hidden injuries.

11. cktai - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I have been pointed to the fact that this is only a non-pitcher record. Former Cubs and Braves pitcher Bob Buhl had no hits from 85 PA in 1962, making his season line .000/.090/.000

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3251)