Aug 2, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Craig Counsell popped out as a pinch-hitter yesterday, extending the veteran infielder’s historic slump to 0-for-45.
Yes, zero hits in his last 45 at-bats. Seriously.
Counsell hasn’t had a hit since going 3-for-3 on June 10 and is now just one more hitless at-bat away from tying Bill Bergen’s all-time record of 46 straight at-bats without a hit from way back in 1909.
During his 0-for-45 streak Counsell has lowered his batting average from .236 to .145, although with one walk and one hit by pitch during that stretch he does have a nifty .042 on-base percentage.
Asked about Counsell’s incredible slump, Ron Roenicke offered up some fantastic manager-speak: “It is what it is. He’s still battling. He still feels good upstairs. Whether it’s driving in runs or saving runs, I don’t see the difference.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (95)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)