Aug 2, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
Rhodes is 41 years old, so his lasting this long as an effective pitcher is pretty amazing, but his performance has definitely slipped this season.
After posting a sub-3.00 ERA in 2008, 2009, and 2010 he has a 4.81 ERA and 15/8 K/BB ratio in 24 innings, serving up six homers while right-handed hitters knocked him around to the tune of a .333 batting average and .633 slugging percentage.
Rhodes remained effective versus left-handed hitters, but his average fastball velocity is down two miles per hour compared to last season and 41-year-old left-handed specialists aren’t exactly in high demand. Plus, he’s still owed about $1.5 million for the remainder of this season, with a $4 million option for 2012 that will obviously be declined.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)