Rangers designate 41-year-old Arthur Rhodes for assignment

Aug 2, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT

Rhodes_Arthur

Texas beefing up the bullpen with Mike Adams and Koji Uehara meant other relievers had to go to make room and today the Rangers designated Arthur Rhodes for assignment.

Rhodes is 41 years old, so his lasting this long as an effective pitcher is pretty amazing, but his performance has definitely slipped this season.

After posting a sub-3.00 ERA in 2008, 2009, and 2010 he has a 4.81 ERA and 15/8 K/BB ratio in 24 innings, serving up six homers while right-handed hitters knocked him around to the tune of a .333 batting average and .633 slugging percentage.

Rhodes remained effective versus left-handed hitters, but his average fastball velocity is down two miles per hour compared to last season and 41-year-old left-handed specialists aren’t exactly in high demand. Plus, he’s still owed about $1.5 million for the remainder of this season, with a $4 million option for 2012 that will obviously be declined.

1. spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Something tells me he may be wearing Cardinal Red soon.

• metalhead65 - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM

that would be pretty funny seeing a former washed up reds player playing for the cardinals instead of the other way around for a change.

2. flavadave10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

First Matt Stairs, now Arthur Rhodes? Geez… RIP my childhood.

• pipkin42 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Seriously. I grew up an Orioles fan (now I sometimes look at what their newest way to lose was) in the 90s and Rhodes was a monster on those 96-98 teams. Damn.

Always liked the guy, even if he was occasionally frustrating. Godspeed.

• flavadave10 - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Arthur Rhodes once threw three high inside pitches to a guy, and then struck him out. Now THAT’S making a statement. The batter was SO pissed. After that, Rhodes earned my eternal respect.

3. bleedgreen - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM

They should take all the guys DFA’d in a given year, and have them play the world series champs for 1 game.

4. genericcommenter - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I remember when he was with the Orioles. Never did I think he would last this long in any role. He put together a nice career.

5. bigleagues - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM

He’s got a lot of life left in that arm . . . what? Oh, my bad – thought we were talking about Tuffy Rhodes.

6. Chipmaker - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Second among active pitchers in service time to Jamie Moyer, if we consider Moyer to be “active”.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet