Rockies prospect Alex White hates on Cleveland

Aug 2, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

alex-white-indians-spring Getty Images

Alex White was a top Indians prospect until the other day. Then he was shipped to the Rockies in the package for Ubaldo Jimenez. A few minutes ago he voiced his pleasure with the move, geographically-speaking:

Denver or Cleveland, Denver or Cleveland? Let’s be honest, ill take Denver. With the exception of a few people.

Look, I’m sure a lot of people would rather live in Denver than Cleveland. But I was also told that if you can’t say something nice about the city which is home to the team that drafted you and gave you $2.25 million to be a part of its future, don’t say anything at all.

1. trevorb06 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

If he’s ripping on the geography, that’s fine. If he’s ripping on the organization, that isn’t cool. I wouldn’t want my newly acquired prospect ripping his old team. That’s just disrespectful.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I think he’s just saying he prefers Denver, the town.
      And even if he’s saying he prefers the Rockies to the Indians, it’s not like he’s “ripping’ the Indians. Saying you prefer something over another thing is not necessarily a slam. I prefer mint chip ice cream over chocolate, but I’m not going to say to a chocolate cone.

On the other hand, Ichiro! famously siad he’d rather get punched in the face than go back to Cleveland to make up some snowed-out games.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM

that’s “said” not “siad”. sigh.

2. Lukehart80 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

He’ll get his when his arm falls off after three years of pitching in his beloved new home.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Or he’ll get lucky and a Rockies minor league coach will “fix” problems in his delivery a la Matzek (who is walking more than 12 batters per 9 innings now that he is “fixed”) and he won’t have to worry about pitching in Denver.

3. xmatt0926x - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Twitter really has become the forum of choice for as*holes all over the land hasn’t it? Where is the common sense or just plain old self respect? Even if he feels that way, why is there such a need for everyone in our society to now share their thoughts with everyone on facebook and twitter? Unreal.

4. hittfamily - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Fresh mountain streams. Lookout Mountain. Rocky Mountains. NORAD.
    or……..
    Rivers that catch on fire.

I agree Alex.

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

The river catches fire one time…

• hbdbrowns33 - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

40 YEARS AGO

• sportsdrenched - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I found Denver and the Front Range too freakin crowded. Now, Durango and the San Juans. That’s a different story.

But they only put MLB teams in crowded places, so what are you gonna do?

• oldnumero7 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Word is the White Sox are moving to Durango. You heard it here first.

5. jeffbbf - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I always cut a little slack to the young kids who just got traded for the first time. Being traded can be a bit emotional for a kid who’s been towing the line and progressing. Let’s face it, their initial reaction has to be along the lines of “they don’t want me anymore” and that’s got to hurt a little. I’m sure most people, at that age, in that circumstance, would have an *fu* first reaction, especially with a mike shoved in their face.

• trevorb06 - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

How old were you when you first were traded?

6. Travis Reitsma - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Cleveland=highly underrated, IMO.

7. poseidonsfist - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This is such a non story. He did not say a single thing bad (or good) about the Indians organization. So what if a guy enjoys Denver over Cleveland. As a Rox fan, I wouldn’t have cared if Brad Hawpe said he liked San Diego better than Denver. Really, what is the deal here?

8. ptho16 - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

He would have given Cleveland the finger, oh wait, he can’t move that one.

9. bennoj - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

“To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to,” Ichiro said through an interpreter. “If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.” – 6/11/2007

• IdahoMariner - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

there we go, that’s the quote I was looking for. as always, what Ichiro actually says is always better than anything else. pure comedy gold.

10. motherscratcher23 - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m a Tribe fan. We have no ill will toward White or Pomeranz. The prevailing thought out of Cleveland (now that the dust has cleared) is that this trade has the potential to be a win/win. We’re excited to get Jiminez for 2 years and possibly contend, but we are sad to see those guys go.

We were REALLY high on both of those guys. I haven’t talked to a single Tribe fan who is hoping for anything but the best for those guys.

I love my town. It’s really disappointing to read this, especially when he was showered with love (and a good amount of money) during his time here.

Still hope his finger is OK and I hope for the best for the kid.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I don’t think you should be disappointed; and I think it’s awesome that you are actually a balanced, sane, reasonable fan to be able to appreciate what the deal as a win/win, and a gracious person to still wish him the best even when you perceive him as being ungracious.

But I still don’t think he’s “hating” on Cleveland. A rare moment of hyperbole on Craig’s part when writing th eheadline.

11. tashkalucy - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM

After decades of writing these sorts of stories, and the Internet t roll them out, it has gotten to the point that the majority of fans have no idea how to play the sports they’re commenting on. And in MLB, thanks to arbitration, player play or statistics and fundamentals have gotten lost for all but a few teams.

A pity.

Sports used to be so much fun.

• motherscratcher23 - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

What in God’s name are you blathering about?

12. sportsdrenched - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Common it’s not like he set up a show on ESPN and anounced he was taking his talents to the Front Range…like he had a choice, but you get the idea.

13. contraryguy - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM

never mind the smog Denver gets in summer… tough break for White, bound to be a few sour grapes in that deal. Get used to it kid.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3040)