Roy Oswalt ready to rejoin Phillies’ rotation after rehab start

Aug 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

oswalt wide getty Getty Images

Roy Oswalt made his second rehab start yesterday, throwing six innings of two-run ball at Triple-A, and afterward declared himself ready to return from the disabled list.

Oswalt has been out since June 24 with a lower back injury, but Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that his fastball was clocked in the low-90s yesterday and he threw 61 of 90 pitches for strikes.

He’s scheduled to throw a bullpen session Thursday and, if all goes well, will likely rejoin the Phillies’ rotation Saturday or Sunday against the Giants.

Oswalt told Hagen that his back “feels great” and “I don’t have any more pain,” which is quite a change from the initial fears that the injury might motivate him to retire at age 33.

1. Phillies Homer - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Wouldn’t it just be easier to ask the opposing team if they want to play the game or just take the loss?

I’m thinking there is more value to the opponent on giving their players an extra day rest…

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Hopefully this will be the end of KK starting for the year. It is easier on my nerves having him pitch in short doses. The always on the edge of disaster thing gets tiresome. Although the petrified look when he sees Dubee coming to the mound is priceless.

3. halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

When they initially reported Oswalt’s back trouble and his own concern about his back, I thought he was done for the year. A bulging disk problem for a pitcher is never good.

This is great news. He should start this weekend against the Giants.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Agreed. I still think they need to add a bullpen arm today. I don’t feel good about going with KK, Herndon, Perez, and Lidge in Colorado.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

If I were the Phillies, I would call up Michael Schwimer. 6’8″, 240lbs., blazing fastball.

His stats in AAA are amazing.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yeah, I was just looking at the 40 man roster….they would have to add Schwimmer or Aumont if either were to be called up. That shouldn’t be an issue as they could just transfer Harold Garcia to the 60 day DL to make room. They say that Aumont is having a really good year. 57 strike outs in 41 innings, ERA in the mid 2′s. Nice rebound year for the kid.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Also, on the Pharm: 21 year old SS Freddy Galvis was promoted from AA Reading to the AAA Iron Pigs today.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Yeah. I’m not suprised. I was listening to Scott Proefrock on 1210AM a few weeks ago. He said the Galvis has started to figure out how to hit. He’s already a major league caliber fielder, according to scouting reports. They were worried about his hitting, though.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Also, 23 year old 3B “prospect” Carlos Rivero has been promoted to the Iron Pigs.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM

To make room….’bicepts boy Brian Bocock is out the door.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Brian Bocock is gone? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Yep, I heard that the Pirates picked him up. Obviously for their minor league system.

• spudchukar - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Still waiting for the Bocock/Furbush match-up.

4. bleedgreen - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Oswalt’s injury could be a ‘blessing’ in disguise. He’s relatively fresh. Didn’t pitch his arm off all year. If he can come back sharp and healthy, he should be nasty and a real boost to the rotation. (Really? A rotation with Doc, Cliff, Cole and Vanimal needs a boost?)

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Anything to get KK back in long relief is a boost in my opinion. That and I have a suspicion that Worley is going to start to wear down pretty soon.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Low-90′s is the most important phrase written in this post. If he can keep that velocity, the Phillies may actually match or surpass last year’s 40-17 finish. Amazing.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Velocity and the late jump according to Ricky Bo

6. thephilsabide - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I was at the rehab game yesterday. His fastball may have hit 91-92 a couple times but they were usually for balls. When he got it over, it was in the 87-89 range. From where I sat couldn’t get a good look at movement on the pitches but he did throw alot of strikes. He may be painless but I’m not 100% sure on arm strength at this point.

7. philliesinsf - Aug 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I have the ticket for Sunday game at at&t park and I do not want to see KK. I hope Oswalt can make it to that game.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5445)