Aug 2, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Mets fans, prepare to roll your eyes.
After years of seeing short-term plans fail to pan out, a changing of the guard at GM and the launching of a smart plan to shed baggage and contracts and try to align the Mets for a more solid long term footing, culminating in good trades of both Francisco Rodriguez (saved money) and Carlos Beltran (landed a top pitching prospect), Filip Bondy whips this out in this morning’s Daily News:
The Mets’ third straight loss would be of little importance, except the Braves have dropped two in a row and six of 10. There was a small, real chance for the Mets to make a serious wild-card move, if Alderson hadn’t exiled both K-Rod and Carlos Beltran.
I’m convinced that guys like Bondy write their columns via some macro that is activated by pressing the “Ctrl” + “contrary jerk” keys. If the trades hadn’t happened, those same keys would have pinched off a “…while Alderson continues to fiddle while Rome burns …” opus.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 9
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 48
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)