Aug 2, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Mets fans, prepare to roll your eyes.
After years of seeing short-term plans fail to pan out, a changing of the guard at GM and the launching of a smart plan to shed baggage and contracts and try to align the Mets for a more solid long term footing, culminating in good trades of both Francisco Rodriguez (saved money) and Carlos Beltran (landed a top pitching prospect), Filip Bondy whips this out in this morning’s Daily News:
The Mets’ third straight loss would be of little importance, except the Braves have dropped two in a row and six of 10. There was a small, real chance for the Mets to make a serious wild-card move, if Alderson hadn’t exiled both K-Rod and Carlos Beltran.
I’m convinced that guys like Bondy write their columns via some macro that is activated by pressing the “Ctrl” + “contrary jerk” keys. If the trades hadn’t happened, those same keys would have pinched off a “…while Alderson continues to fiddle while Rome burns …” opus.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 52
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)