“The media tries to keep Philadelphia fans from being happy”

Aug 2, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

Wait … did I just get … TOLD?

Everyone gets on the Philadelphia fans when they get mad. Look at how angry and aggressive they are! Please, give me a break. But, on the flipside, the media tries to keep them from being happy. Look no further than Craig Calcaterra. Who? Exactly. Calcaterra is the “Blogger-in-Chief” at Hardballtalk.com which is part of NBC Sports. Calcaterra tweeted last weekend that Philadelphia is “the most insecure fan base on the planet.”

Listen here Craig; let me explain something to you: one championship in 28 years in any sport. Two World Series titles in 128 years of Phillies baseball. We, as a fan base, have every right to be insecure. Have you ever heard of 1964? The MVP for the Cardinals’ World Series Championship team should be the entire 1964 Phillies team for blowing a 6.5 game lead with 12 games to play down the stretch. That alone gives us the right to be insecure.  So before you criticize us, how about you spend 10 seconds in our shoes.

There you have it. I shall now walk a mile — or at least ten seconds — in the shoes of Philly fans before I say anything bad about them again. Or maybe not. These shoes feel so … so … insecure.

Seriously, though, the saddest thing about all of this is that the Philly fan commenters here are almost all pretty great.  As are most of the Philly bloggers and stuff with whom I interact on Twitter.  They appreciate the good run their team is on and are, with a few occasional exceptions, pretty realistic and gracious about life.

I don’t for a second think that guys like this one are representative of the fan base at large. But at the same time, I never see examples of this kind of thing from the fan bases of other teams. It’s just nuts.

1. b7p19 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Face palm

• seattlej - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Don’t you mean “phace palm”? I’m pretty sure that there’s a rule whereby you must substitute a “ph” phor an “f” when you’re talking about the Phillies?

2. randall351 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM

You probably shouldn’t even warrant his posting with a post on here. You’re just falling into his evil plan to get even more media coverage of Philadelphia and their fans.

• randall351 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM

And page views for his blog site.

3. phrontiersman - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM

No, really. Some of us are actually sane. I promise.

4. The Baseball Gods - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I love how Craig is always trying to rib Phillies fans because he knows we are a big reason why this site is so successful. If this site relied on braves fans it wouldn’t last very long. I have no problem with him continuously ripping on us because its his job and he knows there will be a huge response to a post like this because Phillies fans are very intense and always have something to say.

• The Baseball Gods - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM

This was obviously the wrong post to write this on because this guy who called out Craig was obviously a complete imbecile, but I still say he writes posts to rile up Phillies fans because he knows we are a strong force on this site.

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I believe you have a problem with run-on sentences and Craig because you start with one idea and switch to another idea because you put a lot of thought in to what you write and do not know when to stop one sentence and start another because you get excited and can’t stop typing…

• Jonny 5 - Aug 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM

You typed like Shane Victorino talks. That’s cool, look a squirrell!!

5. djdvd - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

“My team was horribly run and bad for a long time and that gives me permission to act like an insufferable jackass when they are doing well now.” Woe are the phillies fans.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM

What a buffoon!!! Once you win a championship, there is ZERO reason to be insecure. Period. Once the Phillies won in 2008, the insecurity should have melted. Now for the Beagles fans who haven’t won a Super Bowl yet……they are a different breed…….literally!!!

• FC - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

they are a different breed…….literally!!!

Of course, those are birds and the Phillies are…. umm… are… umm… just WHAT kind of animal is the Phanatic again?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Nobody knows just what kind of animal…only that he hails from the Galapagos Island. Also, his mothers name is Phoebe and his best friend is Phyllis.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I am the biggest Phillies fan on this board, but I HATE the beagles more than the Yankees…and that’s saying A TON!!! They have the stupidest most vile fans on the planet.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

How does anybody thumbs down comments about the Phanatic? I just don’t get it. It’s not like I was making that stuff up either. Those are verifiable Phanatic phacts.

7. kopy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I read that article and it just annoyed me. Dude gets mad at Craig for saying they are insecure, he admits they’re insecure (which makes me wonder why he’s mad about Craig agreeing with him), and then he gets into some sort of pissing contest with New York. Why does all of Philadelphia’s success have to be measured against New York? They’re different cities with their own pros/cons. No need for an inferiority complex.

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, the whole New York bit completely validated the insecurity remarks.

• sdelmonte - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM

These days, a lot of us in NYC are the ones feeling inferior. The Phils owning the Mets in ’07 and ’08…Cliff Lee rejecting the Yanks for the Phils…that cornerback rejecting the Jets for the Eagles…that painful loss the Giants suffered to the Eagles last year. It’s a pattern!

And if the Yanks lose to the Phils in the WS this year, it will just add to it.

8. paperlions - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM

So this guy is so insecure about being insecure that he had to defend the nature of Philly fan insecurity so that people accept/understand/acknowledge the legitimacy of that insecurity?

• Ari Collins - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Well put.

9. foreverchipper10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

He is citing 1964. How is that a valid basis for argument in 2011?

• natstowngreg - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Some people have long memories. Look at how long America had to deal with the insecurities of Red Sox Nation.

10. anotheryx - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

If you disagree with someone, walk one mile in his shoes. Now you are a mile away and have his shoes.

11. b7p19 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM

“Have you ever heard of 1964?”

Wasn’t that the year right after 1963?

• chadjones27 - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM

No, actually due to some kind of Congressional law about a leap year change that coincided with the JFK assassination, there was mass governmental confussion, so 1963 jumped right to 1965. They replayed 1964 seven months later.

12. illcomm - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM

another useless article from Craig…I would expect no less

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM

You woldn’t link a blog post about yourself in your blog?

LIAR!

13. shaggylocks - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Wait, who are you again?

14. youalldrinkhaterade - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM

we only think Craig is a dope because he is such a braves homer…this Phillies fan (I am also one) is out of his mind though…Pence trade was much better…

15. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It was funny that a guy who calls his blog Whiz Wit Sports was mocking Craig for being unknown or irrelevant or whatever he was getting at. Seriously, who the hell is this guy? I don’t get all the anger from my fellow Phillies fans. Nothing to get worked up over. The Phillies are awesome, who cares what Dave Schoenfeld or whoever has to say about anything? Furthermore, if Mr.WhizWitSports would actually fellow this blog, he would know that most of the stuff that gets said is along the lines of banter.

16. FC - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I would pay no attention to such twits. We all know Craig loves the baiting game and the majority cheerfully take to it. It’s all in good fun. This media-person is taking himself much too seriously.

• chadjones27 - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Calling this guy a “media-person” is kinda like calling a fry-cook a gourmet chef.

17. kellyb9 - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Craig – I’m in favor of whatever gets that picture posted once a day. :-D

18. locusthopper - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Has anyone read the comments on that blog? I know this is the internet and all, I’ll never understand why anyone would spit such hateful venom over something as harmless as a fellow being insecure over…a baseball fan writing about a baseball team…

19. tashkalucy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM

It’s good if Craig walks a mile in their shoes.

That way, if the fans don’t like what he writes, they’ll be a mile away from him….and shoeless.

20. proudlycanadian - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The Philadelphia fans on this site are a lot of fun. They are great fans of their team and for the most part know a lot about baseball. As a Jays fan, I am glad that my team has won just as many World Series as Philadelphia and in a lot less time; however, I expect that the Philadelphia will win the World Series this year.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I get a very insecure feeling whenever I think about the second World Series championship your team won…actually, I place my thumb in my mouth and curl up into the fetal position.

• cur68 - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Easy boy. No need to go all fetal. Just think of it as keeping Dykstra’s greasy baccy stained paws off the trophy. ‘Twas a pubic service.

• umrguy42 - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM

cur, I think you might need that EDIT FUNCTION! for your last sentence. (Maybe not, but that implies a relation with the WS trophy I don’t even want to think about.)

21. rjmarrella - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:07 PM

So this guy names a website after cheese and onions and we are taking stock in what he says?! I am from Philly, I am getting tired of apologizing to the nation for idiots like this.

22. trevorb06 - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Who is Steve Dolan?

23. halladaysbiceps - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I would like to comment on this between what Craig said with the Power Rankings yesterday and this entry. First of all, Craig does not dislike the city of Philadelphia, the fans nor the team. It’s that simple. What I have come to learn over my time at HBT is that he has a respect for the talent that the Phillies have. I believe that Craig has a firm grip on what he says and what is perceived.

Secondly, Craig is one of the most intellectual writers that I have ever come across. He is witty, smart and to the point as to how he feels. I have grown to appreciate his use of the English language as I read him more and more. His choice usuage of certain words and phrases separates him from many others that I have read throughout the years. That’s why some of the best baseball minds come to this site and comment. They appreciate him, as do I.

I am a diehard Phillies fan. Those that have come to know me knows that this is the case. I will thump my chest out when my beloved Phillies do well. I will also crucify them without mercy if I do not see them trying hard enough or playing well. But, I respect Craig because, to me, he’s a decent guy.

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Bicepts, I type this with great sincerity: Are you on the wagon?

24. browngoat25 - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM

This guy is really pointing to 1964 as a reason to justify the insecurity of Phillie fans? so 1980 never happened? Mike Schmidt? Steve Carlton? Pete Rose? 4 world series appearances and two world series since that collapse and that doesn’t make 1964 even a little easier to swallow?

• browngoat25 - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM

correction: 5 world series appearances (I forgot about 1983)

• leokitty - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Once your team collapses twenty+ years before you were born it never stops haunting you!!!

25. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Surprise! Asomugha, like Lee, took less money to come to Philadelphia

Yeah, no he didn’t. With the option year, which Lee will most certainly kick in, the deal with Philly was more expensive with the Yanks, but after reading this previous comment of his I can understand why the writer can’t do simple math:

“Philadelphia fans are always so frustrated and angry.” You think? Because the national media never lets the Eagles enjoy anything. Eagles sign Nnamdi Asomugha…. Can you believe those Philadelphia fans getting excited about football? It is July it is baseball season…. Ok then, the Phillies sign Hunter Pence

WTF does that even mean?

• jimbo1949 - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You’re saying you actually read that screed? I wasted enough time on the excerpt.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5044)