The Orioles claim Jo-Jo Reyes, release Justin Duchscherer

Aug 2, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

duchscherer poses Getty Images

The Blue Jays waived starter Jo-Jo Reyes and the Orioles have taken a flyer on him.  They also released the last starter they took a flyer on, Justin Duchscherer.

Reyes was 5-8 with a 5.40 ERA in 110 IP for the Jays this year. You can’t really call it a “bad year,” however, because it’s pretty much the Jo-Jo Reyes we all know.  For his career he’s 10-23 with a 6.04 ERA, all but four games as a starter.  He’ll consume innings as the Orioles play out the string. Nothing more.

The release of Duchscherer was inevitable, but a bit of a bummer all the same. He hadn’t pitched since early last season and didn’t pitch at all in 2009.  Hip problems and depression have basically wrecked his career. A career that, at one time at least, looked promising.

In an ideal world, Justin Duchscherer is pitching major league innings someplace and Jo-Jo Reyes is probably not.  But health is everything when you’re a pitcher, and their example shows it pretty plainly.

1. flavadave10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Jo-Jo Reyes is already used to losing a lot, so great fit for the Orioles.

• stinkfist5 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I have been a die hard O’s fan since I was 8 years old. I’ve seen two winning seasons and in 15 years I’ve been to 6 playoff games. I’m slowly beginning to lose faith in Angelos…I know it’s hard to believe that anyone still has faith in the worst franchise in current baseball memory, but this is sad. We need a miracle in Charm City.

• flavadave10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I lost faith in him right around the time he let Mike Flanagan be his general manager.

2. Jonny 5 - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM

It can’t be easy growing up with that last name.

3. Panda Claus - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Jo-Jo rhymes with yo-yo, which is what the Orioles roster moves have looked like this season.

Thankfully, with the Duchscherer release, the “other” J.Reyes signing and the expired honeymoon plans for Buck Showalter in the previous thread, the entire baseball world is invited to bash on the Orioles today. Welcome to my world.

Next stop, #1 draft pick in the 2011 draft. Of course the new MLB CBA will probably change the rules so the worst team now picks last in the draft, but only for next year.

• Panda Claus - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

That should be the 2012 draft actually. Which reminds me, has anyone ever asked for an edit function here?

• Alex K - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

The Astros and Cubs might have something to say about that #1 pick in the 2012 draft. The O’s might be #3.

• Charles Gates - Aug 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I didn’t like the Vlad signing because it cost Reimold playing time. But assuming that the plan was to sign and trade, the $8MM was way too much. Especially considering that they were basically the only ones bidding on him.
      I was ok with Lee. Potential to be a decent bat in the middle of the lineup. From various accounts, a good club house guy. (So statistically I can’t prove that that adds wins, but it certainly can’t hurt). Also, perhaps most importantly, he’s a solid defender which should have helped the young SPs out of a few jams.
      The Ducherschererechercher signing was good, in my opinion. Sure, it didn’t work out, but hindsight’s 20/20. At the time he was inked, it was a buy low, solid upside proposition. Good signing, bad result.
      JJ Hardy was fantastic.
      The Sheriff of Swattingham is basically giving the Os what he’s projected to: HRs, BBs, and unfortunately, E5s. But, a good pickup and a fair price.
      I liked the Koji deal. Long odds on the return, but power and a solid #4 is a good return for a 36 year old, injury prone RP.
      Lee’s trade: he wasn’t a type A/B. Shed salary, get what you can get.
      Brian Roberts and Matusz were the biggest heartaches this year. Combined, they were (too lazy to look it up, but I remember something like) 5 WAR. That would get the Os closer to respectability.
      So as far as Jo Jo Reyes is concerned, sure. Maybe the old change of scenery cliche might hold some truth. Perhaps (probably) not. Ok, Let him eat some innings while wait for McPhail to be replaced with someone that understands how to invest in international market instead of repeatedly signing 30+ type A/B free agent relief pitchers, can better develop young talent and stops chasing name recognition free agent, over the hill bats at the expense of finding long term talent growth opportunities.

• Charles Gates - Aug 2, 2011 at 8:39 PM

EDIT: Combined, they were projected to be (too lazy to look it up, but I remember something like) 5 WAR.

4. goforgin01 - Aug 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I think as an Orioles fan you look for reasons to have hope.

When Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis are those reasons…staring up at the rest of the AL East…you keep looking for Door #3

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2862)