They’ve already got the knives out for Erik Bedard in Boston

Aug 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Erik Bedard AP

Erik Bedard hasn’t so much as picked up a baseball in Boston yet, but the press is already out to get him. Here’s Gerry Callahan in the Herald:

Bedard is a hard-throwing left-hander with the proverbial good stuff, but when you take a look at the complete package, it’s obvious he belongs in Boston about as much as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie belongs on an Abercrombie & Fitch billboard. Bedard doesn’t like the media. He doesn’t like crowds. He doesn’t like attention. He doesn’t like day games. Some people wonder if he even likes baseball. His disdain for the press is legendary…

I’ve noticed that the only people on the planet who care if a player is nice to the press is … the press.  I’ve also noticed that when a guy’s biggest sin is not being nice to the press, you suddenly learn all kinds of horrible things about him and his attitude and all of that.  It’s uncanny!

(thanks to MooseInOhio for the heads up)

1. hlthyradio - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

You have to understand. Callahan is a blowhard ego maniacal jerk, whose main purpose in life is to cause trouble. He works for a paper that rarelt checks facts. Several years ago when Clemens was a huge star (circa 1986-87), he wrote an article about Clemens not willing carry his own luggage.

Consider the source.

2. macjacmccoy - Aug 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Yea Mike Richards is a drunk and womanizer if you ask the Philly media a couple days after he blew them off in an interview

3. patsandsox - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I actually like it that he doesnt like the media. Why should he? He hasnt even got to Boston yet and I have heard nothing but talking heads trashing him. I read about four articles trashing him.

Give him a chance.

I also agree about Shaughnessey, I cannot stand him. Borges knows football so I listen to that and nothing more. Ryan I watch the vein on his temple when hes on tv and wait for the big heart attack. Callahan wants to be the Howard Stern of sports or something, I dont pay him any attention either. They are all very sarcastic, I would love to see them held to the same standards they hold players up too.

• pisano - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Remember, in life your reputation precedes you, and God knows this guy has had health issues, with that said why would Boston think he’ll work out well for them? don’t blame Bedard if it isn’t long before he’s on the DL or if he gets his ass kicked.

4. bigleagues - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Gerry Callahan has a CTRL/ALT/CONTRARIAN JERK key on his keyboard.

Personally I find points of view such as Callahan’s rather ridiculous when considering how much success the Sox have had with mid-season additions.

I just don’t understand the animosity – I mean it’s like everyone likes to forget about the Bret Saberhagen’s and the Mike Boddicker’s and the Mike Lansing’s and the Rolando Arrojo’s and the Cliff Floyd’s and the Paul Byrd’s and the Eric Gagne’s and the Larry Anders- wait, what the hell am I talking about?!

• Jack Marshall - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Boddicker? Sabes? What the hell are you talking about? If Bedard gives the Sox as much as those guys, there will be high fives on Landsdowne Street.

• bigleagues - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:12 AM

It was for effect . . . I started out listing the better deadline (or close to deadline) acquisitions (except Saberhagen wasn’t – he was signed as a FA) to contrast how bad some of these turn out (probably most of them).

But I agree . . . if Bedard can get any of his early season form back and give a little Boddicker – and Bucky comes back for the play-off push . . . then I like the Sawx chances.

5. pipkin42 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I always loved Erik when he was in Baltimore, and his hatred of (and even, I think, messing with) the media was second only to watching him pitch on a good day.

6. pipkin42 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Also: Jim Duquette was terrible at his job (baseball general manager). Asking for his opinion is like asking for herpes.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5474)