Very superstitious. Writing’s on the wall.

Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

Jose Valverde AP

There’s a story in the Detroit News about the superstitions of the Detroit Tigers. Here’s one of Jose Valverde‘s:

“I have a couple of cars, like a Lexus and a Mercedes. If I throw good while I’m driving one car, I stay with that car. I’m driving the Lexus now — and have been since the start of the season. But if I lose two games in a row, I’ll change cars.”

I think that “oh no, I accidentally drove the Mercedes to the ballpark instead of the Lexus” is the quintessential first world problem.

But hey, I’m not hating on Valverde here.  As the man said, “If you believe you’re playing well because you’re getting laid, or because you’re not getting laid, or because you wear women’s underwear, or if you’re driving the Japanese luxury car instead of the German luxury car then you ARE! And you should know that!”

1. southpaw2k - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM

What happened to the good ol’ days of not changing one’s socks or underwear if they were in a hitting streak?

Then again, driving the same car every day is probably preferable to wearing the same underwear every day.

2. Lincoln93 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

You’ve got to respect the streak…

3. Panda Claus - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Great. And now I’m going to be hearing that song in my head for the rest of the day. Glad it’s a good song at least.

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

My thoughts exactly.

• TC - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Yeah, but aren’t the words: “There is superstitious writings on the wall”?

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Sometimes it really bothers me that a guy who throws a ball a dozen times every three or 4 days earns more this year than I will earn in the next 10-20 years. This is one of those times…

• The Rabbit - Aug 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Yeah, but Valverde does a pretty good job.
      What’s really depressing is that you and me, too, could go 0-45 for fairly big money….and as I think of it, I’m not much taller than Eddie Gaedel, so I would have had at fair number of walks in that stretch.

5. baseballisboring - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Have gold thongs gone out of style so quickly?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3088)