Aug 2, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
It’s supposed to be hush-hush when veterans get placed on revocable waivers in August, but names always tend to leak, and the New York Post is reporting that the Yankees have placed A.J. Burnett, Rafael Soriano and Jorge Posada all on trade waivers.
It’s doubtful any member of the trio will be claimed. Burnett is owed about $55 million through the end of 2014, and Soriano is guaranteed another $28 million through 2013. Posada is a free agent after this season, but he’s due to make a bit more than $4 million over the rest of the season and no one is going to want him at that price.
Once the players clear waivers, they’ll be eligible to be dealt this month. Still, it’s highly unlikely any will be traded. This is all just part of the routine.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)