Aug 2, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
It’s supposed to be hush-hush when veterans get placed on revocable waivers in August, but names always tend to leak, and the New York Post is reporting that the Yankees have placed A.J. Burnett, Rafael Soriano and Jorge Posada all on trade waivers.
It’s doubtful any member of the trio will be claimed. Burnett is owed about $55 million through the end of 2014, and Soriano is guaranteed another $28 million through 2013. Posada is a free agent after this season, but he’s due to make a bit more than $4 million over the rest of the season and no one is going to want him at that price.
Once the players clear waivers, they’ll be eligible to be dealt this month. Still, it’s highly unlikely any will be traded. This is all just part of the routine.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 51
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games