Aug 3, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
I always love it when my two biggest hobbies converge:
Dateline Seattle: ESPN’s Jim Caple reports that a brewery is using maple bats — actual maple bats owned by Seattle Mariners players — to flavor beer. Yes, Caple makes the requisite “at least the bats are being used for something” joke. Given the use of Mariners bats, assumptions are that the beer is weak.
Dateline Cleveland: The Indians are basically taunting me now by holding a four-course bourbon-themed dinner in their Terrace Club. The taunting part is by virtue of the fact that the dinner is next Tuesday, when I’ll be out of state on vacation.
Not so sure about the pairing on that dessert course, though. I learned about Jim Beam new “Devil’s Cut” when I was down in Kentucky back in June. I’m a little dubious. I’d do it for a ballgame, though. But now, sadly, I cannot.
- UPDATE: The Braves and Padres are nearing a Justin Upton trade 31
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 63
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 10
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)