Aug 3, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
I always love it when my two biggest hobbies converge:
Dateline Seattle: ESPN’s Jim Caple reports that a brewery is using maple bats — actual maple bats owned by Seattle Mariners players — to flavor beer. Yes, Caple makes the requisite “at least the bats are being used for something” joke. Given the use of Mariners bats, assumptions are that the beer is weak.
Dateline Cleveland: The Indians are basically taunting me now by holding a four-course bourbon-themed dinner in their Terrace Club. The taunting part is by virtue of the fact that the dinner is next Tuesday, when I’ll be out of state on vacation.
Not so sure about the pairing on that dessert course, though. I learned about Jim Beam new “Devil’s Cut” when I was down in Kentucky back in June. I’m a little dubious. I’d do it for a ballgame, though. But now, sadly, I cannot.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (326)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)