And now the latest in baseball/alcohol news

Aug 3, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Early Times

I always love it when my two biggest hobbies converge:

Dateline Seattle:  ESPN’s Jim Caple reports that a brewery is using maple bats — actual maple bats owned by Seattle Mariners players — to flavor beer.  Yes, Caple makes the requisite “at least the bats are being used for something” joke.  Given the use of Mariners bats, assumptions are that the beer is weak.

Dateline Cleveland:  The Indians are basically taunting me now by holding a four-course bourbon-themed dinner in their Terrace Club.  The taunting part is by virtue of the fact that the dinner is next Tuesday, when I’ll be out of state on vacation.

Not so sure about the pairing on that dessert course, though.  I learned about Jim Beam new “Devil’s Cut” when I was down in Kentucky back in June.  I’m a little dubious.  I’d do it for a ballgame, though. But now, sadly, I cannot.

1. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Anyone else out there ever read Suttree by Cormac McCarthy? A bottle of Early Times (the bathtub version) figures prominently in one of the funnier scenes in modern literature. I wish James Franco would stop pretending he or anyone else can ever film Blood Meridian and concentrate on this one instead.

• Charles Gates - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I was about to start the Border Trilogy, but now you’ve got me thinking of Suttree instead.
      Regarding Blood Meridian, any attempt to make the movie that doesn’t result in the majority of the audience either geting sick or leaving the theater twelve minutes in would be a disgrace to the artistry that the novel is, and for that reason it probably won’t be made.
      RIP Glanton’s dog.

• rollinghighwayblues - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I, myself am I a huge McCarthy fan. Oddly enough I just so happened to start Blood Meridian an hour ago and decided to hit up HBT and there ya go, a Blood Meridian reference. I’m looking forward to the gruesome tale as described by Charles Gates.

If it can be more disturbing and outright nasty than Child of God then I will be impressed.

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Charles: definitely read Suttree first. I must tell you a story: years ago when I first began reading it, I took it along with me on a trip from New York to Chicago. I was sitting in the American Airlines lounge at LaGuardia with it; sitting across the lounge – which was smallish back then – were none other than the Mutts broadcast team of Ralph Kiner and Lindsey Nelson (I don’t recall if Murphy was there – don’t think so). Anyway, I hit a certain episode in Suttree – and believe me, you will know it when you get to it – that set me off in such gales of uncontrollable laughter that after awhile Kiner and Nelson began laughing too, just because of the contagion factor. I think the desk attendant at the lounge thought I was having some kind of seizure. It’s that funny. And there are many other episodes in that novel that will flatten you. The Trilogy is a string of masterpieces but Suttree is in a class by itself.

Yeah, too bad about that dog. “I can man anything that eats” became one of my guiding premises in life.

Rollinhghighwayblues: Blood Meridian makes Child of God look like Anne of Green Gables. See the child….

2. natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

They should have broken the maple bats before putting them in the beer. That would have been more appropriate.

Funny clip of Ray’s 10 rejected names for the beer.

3. b7p19 - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

As an experienced, yet still amature, brewer I can only respond with “why”? Don’t get it. Just so they can put that little fact on the label? On another note, I’m sure the bottles containing this beer will break much easier than other bottles…

• natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2684)