Angels explain why they sent Mike Trout back to Double-A rather than Triple-A

Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Images

When the Angels optioned 19-year-old stud prospect Mike Trout to the minors earlier this week I wondered why they sent him back to Double-A, where he’d already dominated for 75 games, instead of Triple-A, where he’d yet to play.

Turns out, they want him to get playoff experience.

Mike Scioscia told Jordan Garretson of MLB.com that the level of competition isn’t much different between the two levels and the Triple-A team is below .500 while the Double-A team is in first place.

We really feel strongly that in a player’s development it’s important to experience the playoffs. In Mike’s case, he’s a guy that’s leading a team to the playoffs. There’s a comfort level there. He just needs to play.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Angels bring Trout back to the majors for a playoff run of their own, because even if his bat isn’t quite ready to thrive in the majors as a teenager his incredible speed and outfield defense would definitely come in handy.

1. Chris St. John - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Real reason: The Angels’ Triple-A club is playing near me on my birthday and I was planning on going to this game solely because of Mike Trout.

However, the entire Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim organization hates me because I regularly make fun of their name, especially when combined with the name of their ballpark – Angel Stadium of Anaheim (as noted by Grant Brisbee in his July 19th power rankings).

2. Charles Gates - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM

He cod do well in AA, or he could do crappie. Either way, he’s already smelt the bigs, so it won’t be long until he’s the sole person the fans want to sea.

• adowding3 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Wow. Maybe you want to get some spelling tips from older-brother William…

• Phillies Homer - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Somebody didn’t get the “fish” references…

• Charles Gates - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Phillies Homer got it, so I’m off the hook.

• ravensos - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

angels insiders say he could be the next tim salmon

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Personally, I think they sent Trout down so he wouldn’t flounder in the bigs before his time. Any success he’s had up here was probably just a fluke. I understand that Gill Hodges had problems early in his rookie season, too. They just want the kid to skate a little longer. I can sea that. Anyway, Mike Sciosia belongs to the old school.

3. sknut - Aug 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I am sure the owners of the Triple A club aren’t exactly thrilled with the decision.

• banksatdixie - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Their Triple-A club is in Salt Lake City and owned by the Larry H Miller family who also own the Utah Jazz. I really doubt its that big of a deal to them. I live in Salt Lake City and the team, despite being fairly poor this year, still draws fairly well. I doubt the influx of a few thousand fans is going to make a difference to the Miller Family either way. That being said, I am bummed that he wasn’t assigned to AAA. I would have taken my student pass, that cost me $35 dollars at the beginning of the year, and gone to every home game he was playing in.

4. 24may98 - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Shades of the Brandon Wood yo-yoing?

• Detroit Michael - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Not even close to the Brandon Wood chain of transactions yet.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win