Aug 3, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
I’m worried Brendan Ryan‘s remarkable heads-up play from the A’s-Mariners game last night will get lost in the amusing tale of “Fake Ichiro” or the madness of the Brewers-Cardinals game, because it deserves plenty of attention.
Ryan beat out a ground ball to shortstop for an infield single, sneakily took off for second base when he realized no one was covering the bag, and then sprinted to third base when no A’s infielder bothered to cover it either.
One ground ball, three bases, and a whole lot of embarrassment for the A’s.
MLB.com has the video, which doesn’t disappoint:
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27