Aug 3, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
I’m worried Brendan Ryan‘s remarkable heads-up play from the A’s-Mariners game last night will get lost in the amusing tale of “Fake Ichiro” or the madness of the Brewers-Cardinals game, because it deserves plenty of attention.
Ryan beat out a ground ball to shortstop for an infield single, sneakily took off for second base when he realized no one was covering the bag, and then sprinted to third base when no A’s infielder bothered to cover it either.
One ground ball, three bases, and a whole lot of embarrassment for the A’s.
MLB.com has the video, which doesn’t disappoint:
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)