Aug 3, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
I’m worried Brendan Ryan‘s remarkable heads-up play from the A’s-Mariners game last night will get lost in the amusing tale of “Fake Ichiro” or the madness of the Brewers-Cardinals game, because it deserves plenty of attention.
Ryan beat out a ground ball to shortstop for an infield single, sneakily took off for second base when he realized no one was covering the bag, and then sprinted to third base when no A’s infielder bothered to cover it either.
One ground ball, three bases, and a whole lot of embarrassment for the A’s.
MLB.com has the video, which doesn’t disappoint:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)