Aug 3, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
This is scary: a bus carrying the Williamsport Crosscutters — the short season A-ball team of the Phillies — nearly plunged off a bridge in New York:
The Williamsport Crosscutters were on their way to the team hotel in Brooklyn when the bus driver got lost, drove over the Verrazano Bridge and wound up on the Fingerboard Road overpass above the Staten Island Expressway. The Staten Island Advance reports that the bus – trying to get back on the expressway – collided with an SUV shortly after 11 p.m. and dangled over the edge of the overpass, with just a guardrail keeping the Susquehanna Trailways bus from plummeting onto the highway below.
Luckily everyone was OK and the Crosscutters’ game against the Brooklyn Cyclones is going on as scheduled today. You hear something like this, though, and you can’t help but think of the crash that killed seven members of the Bluffton University baseball team and travelling party.
It’s not totally clear who or what is at fault here, but it’s worth noting that, based on some experience I have in this area from back in the legal days, the stock of drivers and operators of charter buses is uneven at best in this country.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)