Aug 3, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
This is scary: a bus carrying the Williamsport Crosscutters — the short season A-ball team of the Phillies — nearly plunged off a bridge in New York:
The Williamsport Crosscutters were on their way to the team hotel in Brooklyn when the bus driver got lost, drove over the Verrazano Bridge and wound up on the Fingerboard Road overpass above the Staten Island Expressway. The Staten Island Advance reports that the bus – trying to get back on the expressway – collided with an SUV shortly after 11 p.m. and dangled over the edge of the overpass, with just a guardrail keeping the Susquehanna Trailways bus from plummeting onto the highway below.
Luckily everyone was OK and the Crosscutters’ game against the Brooklyn Cyclones is going on as scheduled today. You hear something like this, though, and you can’t help but think of the crash that killed seven members of the Bluffton University baseball team and travelling party.
It’s not totally clear who or what is at fault here, but it’s worth noting that, based on some experience I have in this area from back in the legal days, the stock of drivers and operators of charter buses is uneven at best in this country.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)