Aug 3, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
This is scary: a bus carrying the Williamsport Crosscutters — the short season A-ball team of the Phillies — nearly plunged off a bridge in New York:
The Williamsport Crosscutters were on their way to the team hotel in Brooklyn when the bus driver got lost, drove over the Verrazano Bridge and wound up on the Fingerboard Road overpass above the Staten Island Expressway. The Staten Island Advance reports that the bus – trying to get back on the expressway – collided with an SUV shortly after 11 p.m. and dangled over the edge of the overpass, with just a guardrail keeping the Susquehanna Trailways bus from plummeting onto the highway below.
Luckily everyone was OK and the Crosscutters’ game against the Brooklyn Cyclones is going on as scheduled today. You hear something like this, though, and you can’t help but think of the crash that killed seven members of the Bluffton University baseball team and travelling party.
It’s not totally clear who or what is at fault here, but it’s worth noting that, based on some experience I have in this area from back in the legal days, the stock of drivers and operators of charter buses is uneven at best in this country.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 29
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)