Aug 3, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
This is scary: a bus carrying the Williamsport Crosscutters — the short season A-ball team of the Phillies — nearly plunged off a bridge in New York:
The Williamsport Crosscutters were on their way to the team hotel in Brooklyn when the bus driver got lost, drove over the Verrazano Bridge and wound up on the Fingerboard Road overpass above the Staten Island Expressway. The Staten Island Advance reports that the bus – trying to get back on the expressway – collided with an SUV shortly after 11 p.m. and dangled over the edge of the overpass, with just a guardrail keeping the Susquehanna Trailways bus from plummeting onto the highway below.
Luckily everyone was OK and the Crosscutters’ game against the Brooklyn Cyclones is going on as scheduled today. You hear something like this, though, and you can’t help but think of the crash that killed seven members of the Bluffton University baseball team and travelling party.
It’s not totally clear who or what is at fault here, but it’s worth noting that, based on some experience I have in this area from back in the legal days, the stock of drivers and operators of charter buses is uneven at best in this country.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)