Aug 3, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
The headline kind of says it all. Go to MLB.com for the video and the full explanation.
To answer your immediate question, a fan grabbing a ball is not an automatic double. It’s often treated like that, but it’s an umpire’s judgement call as to what would have happened absent the interference, and I think the umps got this right.
People: they’re baseballs. You can buy one for, like, four bucks. If you try hard enough you can even get Dustin Ackley or whoever to autograph it for you when he appears at the Home Depot or something.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)