Aug 3, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The headline kind of says it all. Go to MLB.com for the video and the full explanation.
To answer your immediate question, a fan grabbing a ball is not an automatic double. It’s often treated like that, but it’s an umpire’s judgement call as to what would have happened absent the interference, and I think the umps got this right.
People: they’re baseballs. You can buy one for, like, four bucks. If you try hard enough you can even get Dustin Ackley or whoever to autograph it for you when he appears at the Home Depot or something.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 65
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 60
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)