Jason Heyward sits again

Aug 3, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Look, I know that Jason Heyward is having a rough season. And I can understand why, given the fact that he seems to be fragile, that you give him a day off here and there.  But can someone explain to me why Fredi Gonzalez is sitting Heyward again today, against a righty, in favor of Jose Constanza?

Heyward may be fighting a terrible sophomore slump, but if the Braves are going to pull out of their little tailspin and get the offense on track and ready to go for what will hopefully be the playoffs, it will be Heyward, not Constanza, who is patrolling right field.

Ugh.

1. natstowngreg - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Day game after night game?

Sorry, that’s the best I can come up with. Some things just defy explanation.

• donniebb23 - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

He didn’t play last night either. So…. yeah. Can’t really explain it.

2. Jonny 5 - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Maybe he has an “Owie” ?

3. cintiphil - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM

It sounds like a “potential” star is having a hard time in this league. Most of it must be mental, because he has great skills. Too bad, we won’t see another “once in a life time” star perform. For now, we will just keep watching Albert. Maybe some day, Jason can perform up to his potential. Or, keep an eye on Rasmus, he will be blooming out any time in Toronto.

• losburrosinblue - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

You can’t judge a guy’s career based on one or two years. Even some of the best guys had a rough couple of years.

4. Jonny 5 - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I know what it is making Craig all crabby and ill tempered recently (well besides the Braves sucking lately)
    three words

Day Ja View

• bigxrob - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Craigs worst fear….

5. illcomm - Aug 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

how bout the fact heyward isn’t that good this year…..220 average doesn’t cut it..with an average like …why not see if constant can spark some offense..maybe a seat on he bench for a few games will lead to some much needed rest…both mentally and physically

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

But Heyward is Athletic, not Gritty…

7. seanmk - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

freddi is apparently playing the “hot hand”

8. 5thbase - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I was huge on Heyward before spring training even began last year. I still think he has great potential. But let’s be honest, he’s been flat out terrible pretty much all year. There are tough luck .220 averages, but he’s just been bad. He’s constantly jamming himself on pitches in off the plate, he always seems to be in between pitches and he’s rarely hitting anything hard.

I understand what Chipper was trying to do at the time, but maybe the kid would have been a lot better off taking an additional month and getting his head right.

9. ta192 - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM

We here in the Habana suburbs have Mike Stanton (at least, til he gets traded) to watch, and I haven’t seen anything from Heyward to divert my attention…

10. Walk - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I am fairly certain heyward is good enough to bat in the eight spot on a bad day. I seriously cant believe freddi is batting the pitcher in the eight hole every few days. He even said he did not know why tlr did it. Charlie brown moment incoming. Ugggghhh /facepalm

11. macjacmccoy - Aug 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM

probably because hes getting out played

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey