Aug 3, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Interesting story about Marlins manager Jack McKeon in the New York Times today. Seems that every morning — at home or on the road — he goes to Mass. He’s done it for 60 years, and it’s just part of his game day routine, even if the team plane got in at 3AM and he has every reason to stay in bed.
I’m personally a non-believer so I can’t speak to the feelings and fulfillment McKeon describes as the result of his daily ritual, but my mother and the majority of my relatives and all of my wife’s are Catholic. I got married in a Catholic ceremony and I have always admired the ritual for its own sake. Even if you take the spiritual aspects of it away, there seems to be a peace and order of mind that comes from it all. Calmness and certainty in a often frustrating and often mad world.
Not that McKeon or any true Catholic can take the spiritual aspects away. This is just my own observation from afar. And no real deep point here. Just neat to see another side of a baseball figure who, in a lot of ways, has been reduced to caricature has he’s gotten older, and that’s always nice.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)