Now La Russa can’t handle heckling fans

Aug 3, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

La Russa Day continues here at HardballTalk.  I missed this in all of this morning’s reports, but apparently we had another example of his pathological aversion to being the bigger man:

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says a fan told him he hoped he would get shingles again and that others took insults too far in St. Louis’ 8-7, 11-inning victory over the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday night.

La Russa appeared to briefly engage in some banter after the game, and called the fans “idiots” in his comments after a game in which Albert Pujols was hit with a high pitch in the seventh inning and Brewers star Ryan Braun was plunked in Milwaukee’s next at-bat.

Dude has been managing in the bigs for over 30 years. I’m sure this isn’t the first time a drunk jerk has said something to him.  I hate drunk jerks like that, but La Russa going back out to argue with these guys and call names is indicative of a guy who really needs to figure out how to let things go.

1. bravesman1983 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Speaking of drunk jerks, there was this thing that happened down in Jupiter a few years ago . . .

• lovesmesomeme - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Was he driving a white windowless van with Chris Hansen’s business card in his pocket?

2. phillyphever - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Anyone else besides me is going to celebrate the day this moron retires?

• paperlions - Aug 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me….um….I am.

3. pickedoff1 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I’d like to see how all of you would handle the stress. Probably would get to you and assuming you’re a human being, you might just react too.

• klbader - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Where’s your evidence that LaRussa is a human being?

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Why don’t you just go to hell?!?!?!? Sorry, I don’t handle stress well.

4. steve7921 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM

This man is a control freak – plain and simple! Lights are being turned down when we bat…. this fan is calling me names…. Rasmus isn’t listening to me….

He is lucky to be managing in the NL Central because I couldn’t imagine him managing in the NL or AL East!

A good manager but I think if he goes to the Hall of Fame he better take Duncan with him. I would bet a lot of money that any manager that had Duncan as their pitching coach would be just as good.

• phillyphever - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Imagine him in NY. He wouldn’t last 5 seconds over there.

5. deathmonkey41 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM

At least none of them ripped the shingles off their roofs and started winging them at him.

• ditto65 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

That would have been funny.

6. spudchukar - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

In other news, the struggling economy is really due to the irresponsible fiscal decisions of Tony LaRussa, the sweltering heat wave that has gripped the U.S. this summer has been cited as a result of the population,s frustrations with his decisions and the Women’s Soccer Championship game would have been won by the U.S. if not for his influence on the coach Pia Sundhage.

7. kopy - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

You could almost combine the La Russa news into one big “UPDATE” style post, like when rumored trades actually go down. Not that you should, but it would have been possible today, and it would have looked hilarious.

• fquaye149 - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Deinition of irony: Phillies fan broaches subject of why everyone always talks about Phillies fans being obnoxious by obnoxiously bringing up Phillies fans in story that has nothing to do with Phillies fans

8. gallaghedj311 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Wow there drunken jerk fans in other cities besides Philadelphia? Every city has drunken fans, u say? Philly just gets a bad wrap then? Hmph, go figure…

• tommyshih - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Never order the Philly cheese mushu steak wrap. Now that’s a bad wrap. Cheese and Chinese don’t go together.

• SmackSaw - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

No, Philadelphia is where drunk fans voluntarily upchuck on other fans.

9. shaggytoodle - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I think La Russa just needs to take a break for a bit. I understand he gets stressed, but not EVERYONE is out to get him.

10. hebrahhammer - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hate drunk jerks like who? King Tony called them idiots because he thinks Milwaukee is an inferior city, with an inferior baseball club and inferior fans. He never said anything about the “idiots” engaging with him being drunk jerks (like you’d find in Philadelphia). They very likely were just taking issue with the same La Russa decisions that you’ve taken issue with all day today. Just because they verbalized their opinions to his face (or backside) instead of liveblogging them doesn’t make them drunk jerks.

• ditto65 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I think he was referring to La Russa as the drunk jerk, becasue of his past indiscretions.

11. halladaysbiceps - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

“Now La Russa can’t handle heckling fans”

Neither could Michael Richards.

12. ditto65 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

What’s with all these St. Louis stories? Damn Midwest bias…

13. humanexcrement - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I think La Russa is just becoming a crotchety old man, and is getting tired of the game itself. His generation is passing off into the sunset and a new one is taking over. The values and unwritten rules and spirit of one generation are ceding to those of another. It’s just a part of life.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM

A handle like “humanexcrement.” I thought I saw it all. I’m speechless…

• cur68 - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM

…and you thought YOUR handle attracted criticism eh? I just can’t stick a thumb anywhere near his posts. I mean bleh.

ps: thanks to FC for the html tutorial. Has made my commenter life SO much richer…

14. shaggytoodle - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Brewers hit two HRs in thier first at bat, they must have better sunlight to hit with.

• spudchukar - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Must be shining on the Cards too, Furcal just hit a 3-run bomb!

• shaggytoodle - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I am sure MLB all ready recieved La Russa’s complaint about that, so the Brewers haven’t done anything to mess with the sun.

15. trevorb06 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Craig,
    With all the TLR posts you’ve throw out today I have a simple request. If you need to post one more can you refer to him as Antonia De La Russa.
    T

• trevorb06 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Antonio*
      EDIT FUNCTION

• ditto65 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Antonia is BETTER!

• trevorb06 - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

You know… you might be right now that he’s being a drama queen about fans.

16. kinggeorge96 - Aug 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Breaking news.. after Tony La Russa engaged the fans by calling them idiots, he was heard saying to himself on his way to the clubhouse, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!”

It’s being reported that the above phrase was repeated multiple times before he walked out of hearing range…..

• chadjones27 - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I’m rubber and you’re glue…

17. 24may98 - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Tony has the personality of a hemorrhoid – many genius’ do because “nature is compensatory.” Observe and you will gifts are offset see it in sports.

18. 24may98 - Aug 3, 2011 at 3:38 PM

My hypo-dyslexia is acting up

Correction: Observe and you will see it in sports that physical gifts are offset by “mental challenges” (but indeed “the exceptions prove the rule”).

19. Walk - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I saw the comment where he referred to people as idiots, but in all fairness he back tracked in the same sentence so partial credit for trying at least.

20. 24may98 - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Some years ago, I was sitting front row behind 1B at Cardinal-Gnts @ AT&T bordering the Cards’ dugout. Late in the game Tony came out to dispute a by 1B umpire. My pal – a brilliant heckler – never rude but always piercingly accurate, yells: “Hey, Tony, Go home an argue with your wife.” WE later learned that the Mrs LaRussa unbeknown to us was sitting one row behind us. Sweet!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto