Aug 3, 2011, 10:38 PM EST
The dominant performance has earned Hughes at least one more week in the Yanks’ rotation.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger brings word that the 25-year-old has been OK’d to make his next scheduled start, Tuesday against the Angels. The Yankees haven’t decided what to do with 24-year-old Ivan Nova, who has also been sharp, and for a much longer stretch than Hughes. A six-man rotation may soon become a reality in the Bronx.
Hughes has displayed improved velocity on his fastball and the Yanks are likely hoping that he can suddenly round into his 2010 form. They hold a commanding seven-game lead in the American League Wild Card standings but the postseason rotation looks iffy beyond CC Sabathia (and maybe Bartolo Colon).
Nova will try to do some proving in Thursday night’s series finale against the White Sox. Then it’ll be Hughes’ turn Tuesday evening against second-place Anaheim. And so on, and so on.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)