Aug 3, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
The dominant performance has earned Hughes at least one more week in the Yanks’ rotation.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger brings word that the 25-year-old has been OK’d to make his next scheduled start, Tuesday against the Angels. The Yankees haven’t decided what to do with 24-year-old Ivan Nova, who has also been sharp, and for a much longer stretch than Hughes. A six-man rotation may soon become a reality in the Bronx.
Hughes has displayed improved velocity on his fastball and the Yanks are likely hoping that he can suddenly round into his 2010 form. They hold a commanding seven-game lead in the American League Wild Card standings but the postseason rotation looks iffy beyond CC Sabathia (and maybe Bartolo Colon).
Nova will try to do some proving in Thursday night’s series finale against the White Sox. Then it’ll be Hughes’ turn Tuesday evening against second-place Anaheim. And so on, and so on.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)