Aug 3, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
The dominant performance has earned Hughes at least one more week in the Yanks’ rotation.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger brings word that the 25-year-old has been OK’d to make his next scheduled start, Tuesday against the Angels. The Yankees haven’t decided what to do with 24-year-old Ivan Nova, who has also been sharp, and for a much longer stretch than Hughes. A six-man rotation may soon become a reality in the Bronx.
Hughes has displayed improved velocity on his fastball and the Yanks are likely hoping that he can suddenly round into his 2010 form. They hold a commanding seven-game lead in the American League Wild Card standings but the postseason rotation looks iffy beyond CC Sabathia (and maybe Bartolo Colon).
Nova will try to do some proving in Thursday night’s series finale against the White Sox. Then it’ll be Hughes’ turn Tuesday evening against second-place Anaheim. And so on, and so on.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)