Aug 3, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Well, tied for first place, but they got the mojo.
The Dbacks have won four in a row and the Giants have dropped five straight. The last two in each of those streaks came against the other, and now the defending World Series champs are deadlocked with Arizona. I don’t necessarily believe in “statement games” or “statement series” — they seem like talk radio creations — but it’s worth noting that the Diamondbacks’ last trip to San Francisco resulted in a Giants sweep and the Dbacks dipping seven games under .500. Since that sweep they are 46-27.
We all got warm fuzzies when the Pirates flirted with contending for a week or so. The Diamondbacks weren’t expected to be any good this year either, yet here they are. Contending. Competing against a Giants team that has lost its gravity lately.
The calendar is just turning to August and there is still a lot of baseball to be played, but this Giants-Dbacks series feels like the 2011 pennant race making its formal introduction.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12