Aug 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
The fourth player’s identity went unannounced because he was a 2010 draft pick and thus can’t officially be traded until he’s been signed for one calendar year. That date is August 15, but in the meantime Jason Churchill of ESPN.com reports that the PTBNL is likely 48th overall pick Chance Ruffin, who made his MLB debut for the Tigers on July 25.
If he’ll soon be Mariners property the 22-year-old reliever’s inclusion in the deal makes it look a lot better for Seattle. Things are still unofficial for another couple weeks, but the trade would be Fister and Pauley for Furbush, Martinez, Wells, and Ruffin, who starred at the University of Texas and earned a call-up to Detroit by saving 17 games with a 2.00 ERA and 57 strikeouts in 45 innings as a minor leaguer.
Not coincidentally he was optioned back to the minors on July 29, where the Mariners will no doubt closely monitor his workload until the deal is completed.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)