Aug 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
The fourth player’s identity went unannounced because he was a 2010 draft pick and thus can’t officially be traded until he’s been signed for one calendar year. That date is August 15, but in the meantime Jason Churchill of ESPN.com reports that the PTBNL is likely 48th overall pick Chance Ruffin, who made his MLB debut for the Tigers on July 25.
If he’ll soon be Mariners property the 22-year-old reliever’s inclusion in the deal makes it look a lot better for Seattle. Things are still unofficial for another couple weeks, but the trade would be Fister and Pauley for Furbush, Martinez, Wells, and Ruffin, who starred at the University of Texas and earned a call-up to Detroit by saving 17 games with a 2.00 ERA and 57 strikeouts in 45 innings as a minor leaguer.
Not coincidentally he was optioned back to the minors on July 29, where the Mariners will no doubt closely monitor his workload until the deal is completed.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)