Aug 3, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
Rolen has a long history of shoulder problems and hit just .242 with five homers and a .676 OPS in 65 games before the DL stint, although his defense at third base remained spectacular.
He seems unlikely to return until mid-September and perhaps not at all this season, leaving veteran utility man Miguel Cairo and rookie Todd Frazier to share time at third base. Predictably manager Dusty Baker prefers the 37-year-old Cairo, giving him nine of the dozen starts since Rolen went down.
Juan Francisco may eventually be an option to replace Rolen, but he’s currently on the disabled list in the minors following knee surgery of his own.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)