Aug 3, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Rolen has a long history of shoulder problems and hit just .242 with five homers and a .676 OPS in 65 games before the DL stint, although his defense at third base remained spectacular.
He seems unlikely to return until mid-September and perhaps not at all this season, leaving veteran utility man Miguel Cairo and rookie Todd Frazier to share time at third base. Predictably manager Dusty Baker prefers the 37-year-old Cairo, giving him nine of the dozen starts since Rolen went down.
Juan Francisco may eventually be an option to replace Rolen, but he’s currently on the disabled list in the minors following knee surgery of his own.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)