Aug 3, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Rolen has a long history of shoulder problems and hit just .242 with five homers and a .676 OPS in 65 games before the DL stint, although his defense at third base remained spectacular.
He seems unlikely to return until mid-September and perhaps not at all this season, leaving veteran utility man Miguel Cairo and rookie Todd Frazier to share time at third base. Predictably manager Dusty Baker prefers the 37-year-old Cairo, giving him nine of the dozen starts since Rolen went down.
Juan Francisco may eventually be an option to replace Rolen, but he’s currently on the disabled list in the minors following knee surgery of his own.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)