Aug 3, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Rolen has a long history of shoulder problems and hit just .242 with five homers and a .676 OPS in 65 games before the DL stint, although his defense at third base remained spectacular.
He seems unlikely to return until mid-September and perhaps not at all this season, leaving veteran utility man Miguel Cairo and rookie Todd Frazier to share time at third base. Predictably manager Dusty Baker prefers the 37-year-old Cairo, giving him nine of the dozen starts since Rolen went down.
Juan Francisco may eventually be an option to replace Rolen, but he’s currently on the disabled list in the minors following knee surgery of his own.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (132)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)