Aug 3, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
C.J. Nitkowski pitched in the bigs for ten years but had to hang it up due to shoulder problems. Because of those problems, and because of the example of Bartolo Colon‘s rather startling comeback, Nitkowski decided to undergo the same stem cell treatment Colon famously received.
Nitkowski writes about it in Sports Illustrated, and it’s well worth a read. I’m struck by how ho-hum this allegedly controversial medical procedure is. Because it can be accompanied by HGH — though Colon and Nitkowski’s were not — it gave everyone a case of the vapors when Colon’s therapy was discussed. But really, this sounds like less of a big deal than laser eye surgery and most kinds of dental work.
At the end of the article Nitkowski speculates that this sort of therapy may be useful as routine offseason maintenance for pitchers one day, and he makes a lot of sense.
Knowledge is power. Reading about this procedure from a guy who had it done to him will do an awful lot to silence the Bartolo Colon worrywarts.
(thanks to churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged for the link)
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 0
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 5
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)