Tony La Russa is taking his anger out on Edwin Jackson

Aug 3, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v New York Mets Getty Images

Most eyes were on this afternoon’s Cardinals-Brewers game to see if there would be violence and mayhem between the two teams.  So far none between them. But Edwin Jackson had best get a restraining order against Casey McGehee and Tony La Russa, because they’re both beating the crap out of him.

As I type, the game is still going on. And Jackson is still pitching despite having given up ten runs on 14 hits in just under seven innings. He has allowed four homers in all, three of which have come off the bat of McGehee.  He has thrown 117 pitches, and there is still no sign that the La Russa is going to come from the dugout to rescue him.

Can someone please tell me what the point of having eleventeen relief pitchers on a roster is if you have no intention of using him?  Or, for that matter, why Tony La Russa forced a trade of his promising center fielder a few days ago, only to abuse the living hell out of the pitcher he got in return?

1. dcbassguy - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Maybe he didn’t want the pitcher, and he’s showing the front office “Who’s Boss”

2. bravesman1983 - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Casey McGehee is channelling Jon Lovitz’s character from The Wedding Singer: “He’s losing his mind . . . and I’m reaping all the benefits.”

3. stepsinsc - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

TLR is punishing Edwin for wearing his hat with a flatter brim than TLR finds acceptable.

4. ja4ed - Aug 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM

You can’t be a true Cardinal starter unless you have had major arm surgery. TLR is just trying to expedite the process.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Very, very few teams have pitchers that haven’t had a slew of arm problems. I hate LaRussa for many things, but I hardly blame the guy because uber fragile Chris Carpenter or that he screwed up Mark Mulder after one season.

• dlindstedt2 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Dusty Baker has a bigger track record of blowing up pitchers arms then TLR. Well great young talent

5. trevorb06 - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM

It’s Antonio De La Russa now! Drama queen! :-)

6. cogitobaseballergosum - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I’m reminded more and more of Col. Kurtz with each new La Russa story.

• The Rabbit - Aug 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

LOL…Today’s antics reminded me of Captain Morton. I wondered if LaRussa had a palm tree.

7. lovesmesomeme - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Am i the only one who thinks TLR should be driving a windowless white van?
    Receptionist: Mr. LaRussa
    TLR: yes
    Receptionist: Chris Hansen from NBC is on line 3, should I take ANOTHER message?
    TLR: um, yes

• trevorb06 - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I think so.

8. missthemexpos - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Tony Larussa is able to see the whole picture. What the rest of us mere mortals failed to realize, was that Jackson was kept in the game because of his offense. Jackson single-handedly had 2 more hits than the supposedly big 3 of Pujols, Holliday, and Berkman.

9. 24may98 - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM

“Tony meet your karma.”

10. sportsdrenched - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I think The TLR (he’s enough of his own enigma he gets a “The” before his name) has been hanging out with Ned Yost.

11. spudchukar - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

The Cardinals are only carrying 12 pitchers. One can question the wisdom of that and I do, but the recent trade has kinda forced the issue. I too, was wondering why Jackson was kept in so long, particularly in such a crucial game, but then I checked back a few games and the bullpen has been overworked. The pitch count wasn’t that high, and I guess Jackson took one for the team. His performance sure was disappointing though.

Since we are discussing this game it should be stated that Gary Darling is a piss poor balls and strikes ump. The calls have been just as bad for St. Louis as for Milwaukee, so this isn’t a sour grapes. If consistency is the measure of a good ump then Darling is the epitome of a lousy one. I still have no idea where his strike zone is, and I am sure the players do not either. He is supposed to be the Crew Chief, which makes it all the more scary.

Ron Roenicke in his infinite wisdom decided to bring his closer in, in a 10-5 game. The Brewers are off tomorrow, but Axford pitched an inning last night, and another on Sunday, so it isn’t as if he was rusty and needed the work. The Brewers match up again against the Red Birds after this weekend series. So besides unnecessarily overworking your closer you expose him to a team you will play again in a few days. Plus, he was lousy today, and ended up throwing more pitches than I am sure he thought he would. No decision LaRussa made today matches the boneheadedness of this one.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Only carrying 12 pitchers? That is pretty much the norm for every other NL team.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM

One could make the argument that Milwaukee needed to make sure the game was not blown by a lesser reliever, given the fight for first place in that division.

• spudchukar - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM

If your other bullpen options are so poor that they cannot hold a team under 5 runs for one inning then you have major problems that are much grander then this one game. Plus Roenicke already had another reliever up, throwing and ready, so he wasted him too. This isn’t the final week of the season, there are still 9 games left between the two teams and 6 of those are on the road where you have sucked all year. So not only did you unnecessarily expose your closer, he also pitched awful, so now you have compounded the problem giving the Cards the confidence the next time they face him and raising the question of his effectiveness when you will unquestionably need him in the next series. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM

1. 2 outs, a walk, a single, the striking out Albert”Friggin” Pujols hardly qualifies as awful.

2. The Brewers have sucked on the road, which makes it even more important that they win the heck out of their home games. Some games need saving even with a lead > 3 runs.

3. I would guess that the idea was to bring in the closer so that the situation did not arise that a lesser pitcher could allow the Trinity of Pujols-Holliday-Berkman to come to the plate wit the game on the line. Hell, their best pitcher just barely made it, so I can understand the concern.

Being a Yankee fan through Torre and Girardi I understand frustration with bullpen management. But however nevertheless, the Brew crew have a weekend series against the Astros. Let Axford rest up during that one.

• spudchukar - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Both outs were screaming line drives at the outfielders, and he struck out Pujols on a hanging breaking ball, that should have been creamed. It was a pitiful inning, he could not locate his fastball and hung numerous breaking balls. Just because he pulled a Houdini, and escaped unharmed does not mean he pitched well. I said it before and I will gladly repeat it, he was butt awful.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

How can you criticize TLR, Craig? How many rings do YOU have?*

* denotes extreme sarcasm

• Charles Gates - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I have a wedding ring. I know all about criticism.*

• bigdicktater - Aug 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM

And there it is. Thank you for the laugh Charles, thank you very much!

• Kevin S. - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Post of the week.

13. themanchine - Aug 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM

eleventeen

I thought I was the only one that was aware of this number….

• spudchukar - Aug 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Eleventeen is one less then umpteen.

14. geshtahl - Aug 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Are you really looking for some rhyme or reason to a Tony LaRussa decision?

15. macjacmccoy - Aug 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Havent you heard La Russa is a genious

• shaggytoodle - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The way this Brew/Cards series panned out I am starting to think TLR may be closer to a Rockstar from Mars.

16. macjacmccoy - Aug 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

genius

17. thefalcon123 - Aug 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Jesus Craig, what’s with you and LaRussa today? Did he hit on your wife or something? As a Cardinals fan, LaRussa doing several monumental stupid things in one day isn’t an extraordinary circumstance, that’s just what LaRussa does.

Here’s a classic example. In August of 2007, the Cardinals were (impossibly enough) right on the Cubs tail, a game out of 1st! LaRussa decided it was high time to implement some changes to the rotation…i.e. add more pitchers to it. He implemented a 6 and sometimes 7 man rotation! Cause every rotation clearly needs Mike Maroth and Brad Thompson in there once a week!

• paperlions - Aug 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Speaking of dumb things LaRussa does…..I am in Seattle the rest of the week on business, but had the afternoon free after flying in this morning, so I went to the Mariners-A’s game….Brendan Ryan had 2 hits and 2 walks….I’m telling ya, he’s scraptastic, LaRussa gave up on him too early.

18. jwbiii - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Tony LaRussa has an E-Jack problem. If it wasn’t for my fear of being banned, these jokes would write themselves.

19. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 4, 2011 at 7:46 AM

“Can someone please tell me what the point of having eleventeen relief pitchers on a roster is if you have no intention of using him? ” Grammar, Craig, grammar – match your singular with your singular or your plural with your plural.

20. jlgroves1 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Rasmus had no more promise as a Cardinals center-fielder than I do. (Maybe not entirely his fault) That being said I hope he is able to pull himself out of his slump and have a good career with the Jays.

I can’t defend TLR on this one, I’m sure he had his reasons for leaving in Jackson, they just probably aren’t very good ones.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS