Aug 3, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Yeah, I got La Russa on my mind today. And to be clear, as I always, always make a point of saying when I’m criticizing La Russa for something, I appreciate him as an all-time great manager. Honestly. He’s one of the best if not the best in my baseball-watching lifetime, and no one can argue the point. A Hall of Famer if he had retired years ago, and a giant in the game no matter what your opinion of his style happens to be.
That said, he does drive me nuts, and no amount of success he has changes that. And really, what’s got me fairly annoyed this morning are people on Twitter defending La Russa’s actions yesterday with “hey, he’s got more win than you do, pal!” Well, no crap. That’s totally beside the point. I’m not arguing against his success, I’m arguing against his behavior and his style, which is often idiotic in spite of his success.
Or are we expected to give La Russa a free pass because he has won a lot of games? “Well, Mr. La Russa, normally killing a hobo with your bare hands on the warning track is frowned upon, but seeing as though you’ve won championships in both leagues, our hands are tied to punish you.”
Nonsense. Dude acts like a knucklehead, he’s a knucklehead, and I don’t care how many wins he has.
Oh, and if you just can’t get enough of the La Russa bashing, here’s something worth perusing.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)