Aug 3, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Yeah, I got La Russa on my mind today. And to be clear, as I always, always make a point of saying when I’m criticizing La Russa for something, I appreciate him as an all-time great manager. Honestly. He’s one of the best if not the best in my baseball-watching lifetime, and no one can argue the point. A Hall of Famer if he had retired years ago, and a giant in the game no matter what your opinion of his style happens to be.
That said, he does drive me nuts, and no amount of success he has changes that. And really, what’s got me fairly annoyed this morning are people on Twitter defending La Russa’s actions yesterday with “hey, he’s got more win than you do, pal!” Well, no crap. That’s totally beside the point. I’m not arguing against his success, I’m arguing against his behavior and his style, which is often idiotic in spite of his success.
Or are we expected to give La Russa a free pass because he has won a lot of games? “Well, Mr. La Russa, normally killing a hobo with your bare hands on the warning track is frowned upon, but seeing as though you’ve won championships in both leagues, our hands are tied to punish you.”
Nonsense. Dude acts like a knucklehead, he’s a knucklehead, and I don’t care how many wins he has.
Oh, and if you just can’t get enough of the La Russa bashing, here’s something worth perusing.
- In progress: Mike Minor working on a no-hitter against the Reds 2
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 210
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (212)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)