Aug 4, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
We first wrote about the Glenn Burke documentary last year when it made its premiere on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. Now it’s getting a national showing on Versus on Tuesday, August 9th at 10PM.
For those unaware, Glenn Burke was the first and, as far as we know, the only gay player to be out of the closet to his teammates and team ownership during his major league career. His is, not surprisingly, a complicated story as well in that Burke and many close to him believed that he was run out of the league because of it. Maybe that’s true. On the other hand, it’s entirely possible that his performance didn’t justify a place for him on a major league roster. Or it could have been a combination of the two.
But whatever the case, Burke’s place in history is undeniable. As I wrote last year, there have been over 6,000 players who have cycled through the big leagues since Burke left. The odds that none of them save Bill Bean (who came out after his career was over) were gay are more or less impossible. That Burke is, to this day, one of a kind is both intriguing and regrettable.
I haven’t seen the Burke documentary, but I heard good things about it. If you have a chance and the inclination, tune in to Versus next Tuesday night to check it out.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 38
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)